Download: MUDD2 Multi Useraccount Detection Dinger

The Geek

File Name: MUDD2 Multi Useraccount Detection Dinger
File Submitter: The Geek
File Submitted: 09 Jul 2010
File Category: Applications

MUDD - Multiple Useraccount Detection Dinger v. 2.0.0 BETA 1
(Yes, I did work hard to make the acronym fit)

MUDD is an alarm system to catch members using multiple profiles from the same computer. When a user is detected using multiple accounts, a report in the report centre is created. It will bust a good chunk of the people but remember no system is foolproof and every approach has its downsides.

Additional Features:

• Easily whitelist computers and users from the applications admin area
  • Whitelist users and computers from the report centre
  • You can set certain members to use a debug mode which can help you diagnose missed trips

Please Note:
  • This app is in BETA so there are more than likely going to be a few issues
  • There are additional methods of catching duplicates that I am working on implementing but can't promise when those will be out
  • This app is NOT compatible with earlier versions of MUDD. If you have the old MUDD 1.x hooks installed, get rid of them
  • This app was developed for IPB 3.1.1 - don't think it will work on earlier versions.
To install:
  • Upload the contents of the UPLOAD_INTO_FORM_ROOT folder into your forums folder. Be sure to keep the folder structure intact.
  • Browse to your admin->System->Manage Applications & Modules page
  • Scroll down to the bottom and click the Install link for MUDD
Once installed:
  • Configure via the My Apps->MUDD->Settings page
  • You can tweak who can view the reports via the MUDD report plugin (admin->System->Report Centre->Plugin Manager-> Edit Mudd Settings)
To Debug:
  • Browse to MUDD settings page ( My Apps->MUDD->Settings )
  • In the Debug Member IDs - enter a comma separated list of members who will see the debug box
  • An annoying white box will appear at the top of each of these users screens giving some info that can help track down missed trips.
Stuff to do:
  • Increasing detection methods
  • Sort out trip notifications
  • Have a cold beer
I look forward to comments, suggestions and small sacrifices of Oreo shakes in my honour.

nJoy

Click here to download this file
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some notes about the BETA release that I didn't want to put in the public viewing area ;)

My goal is to have multiple detection methods but this current version will only use Flash Cookies. I chose this method over traditional Cookie based systems as Flash Cookies are a little more robust and slightly harder to get around than normal Cookies. Saying that, Flash brings its own PitA problems in catching trips (mismatched versions, installations required and the recent privacy improvements they have made). In short, you may still get some missed trips with this system but in theory it should be less likely than a traditional Cookie based system.

Nothing is perfect, but I think this is a fairly solid start that should capture most of your typical site abusers.

Known issues in Beta 1:

- If you use the admin panel to enter members into the whitelist and also cache the whitelist (the default) - the whitelist may actually not cache. This will be resolved for the next version but as a workaround, simply whitelist users from a report or don't cache the whitelist or after adding the users, toggle the whitelist cache option off and then on.

- If you aren't seeing trips but know they have taken place (i.e. there are entries in the mudd and mudd_details table) then check the Report Plugin settings ( admin->System->Report Plugins->Mudd).

Look forward to any thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Hello... thank you for all your hard work.

I got this error before installing...

IP.Board Set Up Utility

Welcome to the IP.Board application set up utility.

This installation is in progress...

The following errors have been found:

· CREATE TABLE ibf_`mudd` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, `lasttrip` int(11) NOT NULL, `reportid` int(11) NOT NULL, `whitelisted` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `points` tinyint(4) DEFAULT '5', `fkey` varchar(50) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', PRIMARY KEY (`id`) ) AUTO_INCREMENT=1

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '`mudd` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, `lasttrip` int(11) NOT NULL, ' at line 1

· CREATE TABLE ibf_`mudd_details` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, `muddid` int(11) NOT NULL, `memberid` int(11) NOT NULL, `dateline` int(11) NOT NULL, `ip_address` varchar(16) NOT NULL, `useragent` varchar(200) NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY (id) )

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '`mudd_details` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, `muddid` int(11) NOT ' at line 1

· CREATE TABLE ibf_`mudd_outs` ( `memberid` int(11) NOT NULL, `ipaddress` varchar(16) NOT NULL, `browser` varchar(200) NOT NULL, `dateline` int(11) NOT NULL, UNIQUE KEY `memberid` (`memberid`) )

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '`mudd_outs` ( `memberid` int(11) NOT NULL, `ipaddress` varchar(16) NOT NULL,' at line 1

· CREATE TABLE ibf_`mudd_whitelist` ( `memberid` int(11) NOT NULL, UNIQUE KEY `memberid` (`memberid`) )

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '`mudd_whitelist` ( `memberid` int(11) NOT NULL, UNIQUE KEY `memberid` (`memb' at line 1

· INSERT INTO ibf_`rc_classes` (`onoff`, `class_title`, `class_desc`, `author`, `author_url`, `pversion`, `my_class`, `group_can_report`, `mod_group_perm`, `extra_data`, `lockd`, `app`) VALUES (1, 'MUDD Reporting', 'Publishes MUDD Trips to Report Center', 'The Geek', 'http://fun.drno.de/flash/pmf.swf', '2.0.0', 'mudd', ',4', ',4,6', 'a:1:{s:13:"section_title";s:34:"Multi UserAccount Detection Dinger";}', 0, 'mudd');

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '`rc_classes` (`onoff`, `class_title`, `class_desc`, `author`, `author_url`, `pve' at line 1

Click here to continue regardless

Should I continue anyway?

This is my MYSQL version...

MYSQL 5.0.75-0ubuntu10.2-log

I also had another flash cookie detection mod added but I disabled that before install.

Ah turd. I guess I now know how IPB deals with table prefixes :)

In admin/applications_addon/other/mudd/setup/versions/install/sql/mudd_mysql_tables.php

change all instances of `mudd*` to: mudd* (removing the ` )

Im fixing and uploading soon.

No problem - I uploaded a new package that should sort this out.

Thanks for helping out :)

Many thanks...

Just so you know, the error has gone and the install went without a hitch...

I'll go and have a play now...

Loving the humour already!...

You have like... er... NO whitelisted users.

Okay... couple of things

1: When you configure the settings page and click save the page refreshes but the changes are not saved (they go back to what they were before)

2: The actual detection works and it creates the report but when you click to view the report you get this...

Fatal error: Call to undefined method muddFunctions::debugText() in mydomain.com/www/public_html/admin/applications_addon/other/mudd/sources/classes/functions.php  on line 250

Hope that helps a little, if you would like access to my forum then let me know.

Well done for getting the bare bones of it working.

Again... your work is greatly appreciated.

Great catches - thanks!

The only setting that I could find NOT saving was the report viewing setting. I did find the bug and want you to know I mercilessly squashed it. It will never irritate you (or anyone else for that matter) ever again. The debugText issue... well... er. That was my bad for leaving it in the upload folder as I had already fixed it at source (see how I absolved responsibility of the first issue there. Got away with only 50% fault).

Anyhow... updated the package. If you simply re-upload the files, Bob will indeed be your uncle.

Thanks for your help again!

Good evening,

We have the version 3.0.5 and i have installed this here

http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2978-mudd-multi-useraccount-detector-v101/

This MUDD - Multiple Useraccount Detection Dinger v. 2.0.0 BETA 1 is a version of the previous information, we can add it to our site!!!!

Thanks in advance

Quick question, I have installed on 3.1.1 - without error btw, does the app apply to only new members ?

Thanks.

Brian.

It applies to whoever login once.

On side note, does this version uses flash cookies? If yes, then there would be session table in db? Does it add overhead to db? Just curious on how it works and how much more resource it will use.

Thank you!

Quick question, I have installed on 3.1.1 - without error btw, does the app apply to only new members ?

Thanks.

Brian.

No although you'll often get hits where a new member may have been lurking for a while and ended up with a forum cookie stored on their coomputer. These are easy to spot as you get a blank entry on the second line. The proper hits are ones with the same browser details and different member names on 2 or more lines.

3DKiwi

It applies to whoever login once.

On side note, does this version uses flash cookies? If yes, then there would be session table in db? Does it add overhead to db? Just curious on how it works and how much more resource it will use.

Thank you!

The only real processing that MUDD does (apart from generating a small amount of HTML for the flash cookie) is when a trip takes place and that happens as a call back so it won't use any resources while page browsing. I don't store anything in the session table or anywhere else outside of MUDD tables for that matter and they are only used when a trip has taken place.

The first time the cookie is used, it stores a unique hash and memberid that MUDD passes to it. The cookie then ignores all subsequent hashes and will trigger if a different memberid is passed. If that happens, it will swap out the old memberid for the new one (retaining its hash) and call up MUDD on your server (all this obviously happens AFTER the page was loaded). MUDD then does some checking about and generates a Report (or updates an existing one) if the user isn't whitelisted or isn't in a whitelisted membergroup or if the cookie hash wasn't whitelisted.

The first MUDD entry date, time, etc... is always empty as we only start the official "tracking" only once multiple users have tripped that cookie hash.

So far seems like most people are satisfied with the reporting. There are a couple minor issues and tweaks I have to roll out but will wait a few more days just to make sure and then most likely release it as final.

Hope this helps!

So far seems like most people are satisfied with the reporting. There are a couple minor issues and tweaks I have to roll out but will wait a few more days just to make sure and then most likely release it as final.

Just for your info, everything is still working fine on my install. Had quite a few trips so it is certainly doing the job! Reports are coming through no problems.

Archived