IPS Shirt Design

Charles

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if ( $community = 'Invision Power Board' )

Very good coder. :lol: ;)

if ( $community == 'Invision Power Board' )

*cough cough*

obviously i'm faced with newbs here (yea i said it :P). Idea was to say that everyones community always is ipb, hence "in an ideal world" :P.

if statements require a double equal. so if ($wolifie = "awesome") in incorrect. it should be if ($wolifie == "awesome")

You can do a single = in there.

It would only change how it works (ie wouldn't be comparing the value, but rather setting it and on success the condition would be true).

So in a perfect world, $community would always be set to Invision Power Board, so you wouldn't need to compare it, only set it.

In most instances, you would be doing something like

if ( $imagesize = getimagesize( $filename ) )

{

(code to parse)

}

So long as there's no error and $imagesize is filled with data, then the condition is true. Take a look at this code: http://php.net/manual/en/function.fopen.php

if(($fh = fopen($rssFile,'w')) === FALSE){

die('Failed to open file for writing!');

}

It's setting $fh to be the value of the file handler and if it fails (FALSE), then it executes.

Now I do agree that a single = is pragmatically correct but I fail to see the point of doing such a thing, because the else part of the if statement will never be executed unless there is a mysterious case where $community = 'Invision Power Board' would evaluate to false. <_<

Now I do agree that a single = is pragmatically correct but I fail to see the point of doing such a thing, because the else part of the if statement will never be executed unless there is a mysterious case where $community = 'Invision Power Board' would evaluate to false. <_<

pssst, it's this thing called a joke...

I think Jaggi's joke went over a lot of heads :P

how come every manual everywhere uses two?

They're different things. A single = is of course an assignment operator, a double (or triple) = is a comparison operator.

This is completely valid code:

if ( $foo = bar() ) { // Is executed if bar() returns true. $foo is now true. } else { // Is executed if bar() returns false. $foo is now false. }

On the other hand:

if ( $foo == bar() ) { // Is executed if bar() returns the same value as whatever $foo is } else { // Is executed if bar() returns a different value as whatever $foo is }

Archived