Flag as Spammer for non-moderators

gboyers

We would like to give a group of trusted/established member access to the 'Flag as Spammer' button, rather than just the 'report post' button.

There are four issues we have come across:
If this is not realistic, how else would you recommend we do this? We're trying to cut down on elevated staff-status moderators in favour of community-based peer moderation among known/established/trusted users. Extending them the right to flag spammers (and unapprove posts) would be ideal, but the restrictions above force us to separate staff from members more than we would like. A solution would be required to work on 3.1.1 or later.

[*]Without making them Global Moderators, they can only use the tiny green icon next to the members' name alongside a post, not the user profile button. Can we give them the right globally? [*]Without making them Global Moderators, we have to add the group as a moderator to every single subforum. Is there no way to do this globally? We could SQL it if not. [*]Adding the group as a flag-only moderator to any forum makes every member in that group show up in the list of moderators. Could they be excluded from this list? I think we could use a secondary group, but then we couldn't automatically promote users who have been here X years to that (without cron). [*]They can mark Administrators & Moderators as spammers. I understand the logic (in case of compromised accounts) but we don't want to extend privileges that far. Can they be excluded (as they can for warning etc)?

• 11 months later...

I have been scouring the forums looking for exactly this feature, or guidance on how to implement it using existing user groups and permissions. So far I can't work out any way to do it, so I must assume it's not possible with the current forum version.

Any guidance from Invision on whether or not this will make it into a future release?

Don't forget though if you have it set so that all spammers posts are hidden, deleted or whatever - what is to stop someone who has a grudge against 'Fred Smith'from reporting him as a spammer when he is just frustrating.

Perhaps your members should be encouraged to use the report member option more - perhaps adding a report member button in the member profile pop-up might be a better solution.

Don't forget though if you have it set so that all spammers posts are hidden, deleted or whatever - what is to stop someone who has a grudge against 'Fred Smith'from reporting him as a spammer when he is just frustrating.

Perhaps your members should be encouraged to use the report member option more - perhaps adding a report member button in the member profile pop-up might be a better solution.

We would be very careful about who had this facility, and I'm aware of the risks. Currently we get our fair share of spammers, and many of our trusted and most reliable members are the ones who report them via the report button. There's then a delay before me or one of the moderators deals with the report. I am looking to cut out that delay by letting a small group of trusted members deal with spammers when they spot them.

Archived