'Similar Threads' function?

gbrian

Maybe you have a problem with reading English - but the title says similar threads. I did not link to a mod that says'random topic modification'.

No need to highlight words not used in the mod in red.%7Boption%7D

Your link links to a random topic modification, which is not what anyone in this thread wants.

Maybe you have a problem with reading English - but the title says similar threads. I did not link to a mod that says'random topic modification'.

No need to highlight words not used in the mod in red.%7Boption%7D

Hmm, I think what Jura is trying to say is that the modification displays random topics rather than similar topics.

Whether it displays random topics or a truly similar topic depends on the word it matches. The problem seems to be that as long two topics have one word in common it'll be seen as a similar topic. For example, "Tom and Jane" and "Do you like food and drink?" would count as a similar topic since they both contain the word "and." You can set a list of exclude words and if you include "and" in the list, these two will not match anymore. However, despite filling up your exclude list with all the stop words, matching one word only still doesn't equal a similar topic. "I believe it will rain today" and "Do you believe in miracles?" will match. Sometimes it will deliver a similar topic, but sometimes it won't. Needless to say, the algorithm, if you can consider it to be one, isn't that great.

I wasn't saying it is prefect - but why ask for a mod if it exists? Isn't it better to ask the mod author if he can solve any issues?

it is called similar topics, so doubt it displays random topics.

I wasn't saying it is prefect - but why ask for a mod if it exists? Isn't it better to ask the mod author if he can solve any issues?

it is called similar topics, so doubt it displays random topics.

Apparently (or my guess) because the mod author hasn't responded to the support topic since the end of January. :P

Depending on what word it matches it can display random topics as stated in my other post.

On forums that have it "similar topics" rarely seems to display topics that are actually similar to the topic you're in. So really, I don't think this should be built in, at least not if it's done the same way that other forums do it.

There has been the idea of "similarly tagged topics" being added once IPB has a tagging system, that's something that I think would be a lot more useful and reliable.

As always, in the end, this should be an admin's decision. He will see if it's good or not.

I understand the sentiment, but how many admins are going to consider such a feature bad? They will want to use it, and expect no resources issue, full stop. It's not realistic to explain "you shouldn't use this feature that WE built and included with the software because it's too resource intensive".

I understand the sentiment, but how many admins are going to consider such a feature bad? They will want to use it, and expect no resources issue, full stop. It's not realistic to explain "you shouldn't use this feature that WE built and included with the software because it's too resource intensive".

So.. how come vB has it? I mean, I doubt they would implement a feature that would essentially crash the server if too many users tried to view a thread at the same time.. or perhaps vB have gone mad since I last checked them out :rolleyes:

Maybe with a tagging system added, it would be easier to pull relevant topics (maybe even gallery/blogs/content posts) that wouldn't be to stressful on the site.

I currently use the one [url=" before in this topic. While most of the topics it shows are not similar, it gives your users other things to read (that they probably wouldn't find on there own) and keeps them on your site longer.

Saying software x has this so we should to isn't always the best reason to add something, but in this case, having a feature like this would only help communities.

Doing a search against the database on EVERY topic view page (which is effectively what you would have to do to find similar topics) seems like a bad idea to me resource-wise.

How it works in vB: a search only runs once at the thread post time, and later only if the thread title is edited.
So the similar threads block generally lists only the threads posted before the currently viewed thread post time.

By the way, using Sphinx for similar thread search greatly enhances the relevancy of the found similar threads.

• 1 month later...

Archived