Feature request: Up/Down vote

Dmitri

I don't really like the feature to add score to individual post. I mean, it's fine, but not very useful.
A much more useful feature would be to rate a post up or down.

Then such feature can be used for setting up a very common "Thumbs up/Thumbs down" pattern but can also be used to setup
the "Was this answer helpful: Yes/NO" pattern. The admin will just have to configure the text of buttons to either use thumbs up/down or to use text "Yes/No"

The total number of up and down votes can also be shown next to the options.

An extra check has to be added to make sure user can only vote once.

Do you think something like this will be added in the near future?

It's already a feature, negative reputation is turned off here.

A feature to tally votes (such as 'was this post useful') would be a good idea. Not that I'd use it, but I can see the benefits for large companies that offer support or reviews.

If someone reads a support post or review, then they could vote that it was (or was not) helpful to them. Then as more votes come in, it would show "X of Y people found this post/review helpful".

The problem with using the current reputation system for that is it counts against a persons reputation, which reflects on the person as a whole (in the long run). Would be different if there was a way to "null rep" a post instead of neg repping it, because then it's like saying, "It wasn't (great/helpful)" without taking a toll on the person.

/public/style_images/theme/

Add = [img]

[/img]

Delete = [img]

[/img]

Hey presto Thumb up and Thumb down system.

Quite.

The only differences between the current reputation system, a "thanks" system, a "helpful" system and anything else of the sort are semantics. Change a couple language bits or add a few words to the skin, and you're done.

Quite.

The only differences between the current reputation system, a "thanks" system, a "helpful" system and anything else of the sort are semantics. Change a couple language bits or add a few words to the skin, and you're done.

More to it than that. In other to change the current reputation system into a "X out of Y people found this helpful" system, for example, you would have to make skin edits as well.

With that in mind, I think a separate system should be available. Most likely as a mod though.

The problem with using the current reputation system for that is it counts against a persons reputation, which reflects on the person as a whole (in the long run). Would be different if there was a way to "null rep" a post instead of neg repping it, because then it's like saying, "It wasn't (great/helpful)" without taking a toll on the person.

Totally agree with .Wolfie on this. I like the ability to negative rep a post, but not necessarily the individual. Wish there was a setting there to bypass.

By the way, here are a couple other digg style thumbs.

post-154666-011929300 1271629381_thumb.p post-154666-082924600 1271629390_thumb.p

More to it than that. In other to change the current reputation system into a "X out of Y people found this helpful" system, for example, you would have to make skin edits as well.

With that in mind, I think a separate system should be available. Most likely as a mod though.

There's almost no chance that we would create a separate system, since it would end up being nearly exactly like the current reputation system. I'm fairly sure that "X of Y" could be easily skinned in, which means creating a new system would be very inefficient.

Totally agree with .Wolfie on this. I like the ability to negative rep a post, but not necessarily the individual. Wish there was a setting there to bypass.

You you can hide the display of reputation on a member profile using this setting:

"Display user reputation
Set to yes to show a users reputation on their profile"

It will still technically be counted, but it won't show on the users profile or card anywhere.

Archived