Question about notifications

Morrigan

This is more of a question/feedback.

Question first:
Does the admin panel have a way to auto clear old read/unread notifications after a certain time frame? I could see the notifications getting really messy and overloading forums if you aren't able to administratively remove them after they have been sitting around after a month or something.

The Suggestion?
If this isn't available it would be nice to have or have a default task added for this.

Thanks a million. ^_^

• 2 months later...

The notifications cycle out after a certain number is reached, I think it's 50, but I'm not positive. So after you get to 50, it will delete the oldest notification when adding a new one.

can that be changed in the admin cp?

is there a reason why my notifications all stay there even though I've read all the stuff it claims that I haven't read?

Notifications aren't read when you read the content. They aren't associated in that manner. If you click the menu at the top of the page with your most recent notifications, it will mark all of them read, however.

Notifications aren't read when you read the content. They aren't associated in that manner. If you click the menu at the top of the page with your most recent notifications, it will mark all of them read, however.

Would it be possible to do it that way? That is, mark notifications as read if you read the actual content? It just seems like an extra step you have to do for no reason (clicking the dropdown just for the sake or marking them all read when you already know it's read). This is especially the case if you're using inline notifications. More often than not, you'll read the content by clicking on the inline notification rather than the notifications dropdown.

Notifications are a good idea - but the 25 allowed here is just not enough and as a result they vanish too quickly. Even if they are all marked as read I would much rather have 2-300 at least so they could be removed once read / dealt with.

I guess on our own sites that can be easily achieved, but if the official site is too restrictive it does not give a good representation as to the strengths of a new function.

Would it be possible to do it that way? That is, mark notifications as read if you read the actual content? It just seems like an extra step you have to do for no reason (clicking the dropdown just for the sake or marking them all read when you already know it's read). This is especially the case if you're using inline notifications. More often than not, you'll read the content by clicking on the inline notification rather than the notifications dropdown.

It would be difficult, but not impossible.

The notifications don't thoroughly track the content that is sending the notifications - it doesn't really care, to be honest, where the notification came from. It does store a URL, but you couldn't use that URL to match against the content you viewed (random example, if we stored http://site.com/topic/1-test that wouldn't match against http://site.com/topic/1-test/page__view__getnewpost).

Basically, notifications would need a couple of core updates to address this, including plugin/callback functionality so that applications can handle the checking.

Archived