Switch from Rich Text to Regular Editor

Shadow82x

Can we please have the option to switch from rich text to the regular editor directly on the post screen again? Sometimes the Rich Text editor screws up the post code, and you wish to edit the bbc manually. (For example I have had instances where I unbolded in the richtext editor, and it wouldn't actually unbold when you submit it.)

• 4 months later...
Guest CallieJo

Please count my vote for this as well. I really miss this, too. I used it all the time in another forum script. Makes me crazy not to have it...

• 1 year later...

What would you rather it do?

I would rather have the functionality of the 3.1.x versions, where you have the toolbar options, but instead of making html when you choose an option it puts bbcode into the reply box...

%7Boption%7D

I hate wysiwyg editors... tinymce... ckeditor... whatever... they all do the same thing, when you paste any text in they pick up the formatting and stuff goes all over the place.

I can see why IPB have done this, but it's a pain in the neck from my end - hopefully it's one of the things members will stop complaining about, rather than one of the ones they'll keep going on about.

Edit: Hang on, so you get bbcode for quote and code, but not for bold and links. I'm not looking forward to this.

• 2 weeks later...

That removes ALL formatting options...

Not for me....

For example, if I type something in bold on the Rich Text editor, and hit the switch on the top-left, the bold tags are preserved, and if I hit the switch again, it goes back to being displayed as bold. The same is true for all other tags.

So at least on my end, IPB 3.2 seems to be working perfectly fine switching between a Rich Text and Regular Editor. Perhaps it's an issue with your particular browser?

Edit: Talk about someone bumping an old thread and not finding the right button on the editor.

For example, if I type something in bold on the Rich Text editor, and hit the switch on the top-left, the bold tags are preserved, and if I hit the switch again, it goes back to being displayed as bold. The same is true for all other tags.

That's not what he's saying - the problem is that all the buttons are disabled. If someone wants to add, say, italics, but they don't know what the tags is, they can't hit a button to have it inserted.

To be fair, I was expecting uproar from my members about the RTE, but they've actually not mentioned it.

That's not what he's saying - the problem is that all the buttons are disabled. If someone wants to add, say, italics, but they don't know what the tags is, they can't hit a button to have it inserted.

To be fair, I was expecting uproar from my members about the RTE, but they've actually not mentioned it.

The objection about RTE that I was responding to was the preserved formatting when pasting text.

All you have to do is turn off RTE, paste, then turn RTE back on to get access to the rest of the features again.

Oh wow, didn't notice that until now. Yeah, that's ridiculous. Definitely a step backwards.

Archived