Expanded "ignore user" features

Luke

Currently you have the ability to ignore someone's posts and ignore someone's personal conversations. I believe if you ignore someone in personal conversations, they can't send you one.

What I would like to see is a couple options to expand the ignore posting part.

1) An option to forbid a user from posting in your topics.

2) An option to either completely hide a post from view (as in no "This user has posted. Do you want to see it anyway?"), or make it much more condensed. The purpose of ignoring a particular user is that you get annoyed by their posts. But that annoyance still remains even if you can't see what they posted but know they posted in line with the rest of the posts. I know there has been some comments about this like "What if someone else was replying to this person and it caused confusion". Well in this case how about something near the top of the topic out of the line of posts that says "X posts hidden". I can see it, skip past it, and half-way forget about it when I start reading. Essentially don't give me a reason to click on "read it anyway" because if it's in line with the posts, I'm more likely to do so, thus making the ignore feature useless.The whole point of this is -- please make this not inline. It defeats the purpose of ignoring posts.

• 2 months later...

If number one is ever (heaven forbid) implemented, Admins MUST have a way of prohibiting it from being used on their site. I don't care if users ignore each other, but I will not stand for users determining who can and who can not post on the site.

As for number 2, why in tarnation isn't it done this way to begin with? If a user is on ignore, everything from that user shouldn't be displayed to the person. Posts, topics, etc. Should all be hidden from view.

Problem is pulling the line. Right now the post is "cut off" but available for easy viewing (no need to go through the motions of unignoring for a single post).

Now some call this is not enough.

Doing the next step and really cutting the entire post out would satisfy some. But then others would come up and request a feature that allows them to also HIDE everything that has been quoted from that users post in the rest of the thread.

I do not think you will find a sweet spot, this ignore drama stuff is more of a sociological problem for which no final technological solution is available I fear.

Just like in real life, if you ignore a person, that doesn't mean the person disappears off the face of the earth. They're still there, and it is still up to YOU to ignore them, if you don't want to pay attention to what they say.

IPB will hide their content. If you still go and view it, that's your own prerogative.

We'll just have to agree to disagree with that. While a normal person would just ignore the post without ever using the ignore feature, there are those narcissistic users who just can't help but to click through to read what was posted, and start the flame war all over again. By completely removing the post from the user's view makes for a calmer and more pleasant environment for all concerned.

• 4 years later...

Hate to bring a four year topic back to life, but in case anyone else is still looking for an answer, we just updated the ignore feature on our board to cover the second solution above.

In the Topic View -> post template we created a simple test to check for the _ignored value before the post is rendered:

<if test="userIgnored:|:$post['post']['_repignored'] == 1 || $post['post']['_ignored']">
<!-- USER IGNORED; SKIP POST -->
<else />
<!-- SHOW POST -->
</if>

Works perfectly. Now, if I can get a hook to pass the same _ignored value to the $data array in the forumIndex template I can do the same for entire topics started by ignored users.

• 10 months later...

Far more important would be a RECIPROCAL IGNORE function - meaning that if you place someone on ignore, not only can you no longer see anything from them, BUT THEY CAN NO LONGER SEE ANYTHING FROM YOU - this would include any threads you start, and thus effectively would prevent them from posting in any of your threads, in the future.

Granted, this thread is over 5 years old, and nothing even close to what was requested was ever implemented, so I'm not holding my breath on it coming from Invision. 

How about if someone developed a plugin that would implement that?

The biggest issue on my forums is people see quoted posts in other members' posts. How about if the person is on ignore and someone quotes them, in the quote it says:

Ignored Member where the name is and...
Blocked Content where the message is.

In quote form.

Edited by chilihead

• 1 year later...

Expanded Ignore capabilities to include any built-in combination of removing the option to display Ignored user content, reciprocal ignore, and removing Quoted Ignored users (this last one seems the hardest to accomplish but I may be wrong) would be a great addition to IPS native capabilities. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/6/2015 at 2:56 PM, Harald Zink said:

Far more important would be a RECIPROCAL IGNORE function - meaning that if you place someone on ignore, not only can you no longer see anything from them, BUT THEY CAN NO LONGER SEE ANYTHING FROM YOU - this would include any threads you start, and thus effectively would prevent them from posting in any of your threads, in the future.

Granted, this thread is over 5 years old, and nothing even close to what was requested was ever implemented, so I'm not holding my breath on it coming from Invision. 

How about if someone developed a plugin that would implement that?

.... and, predictably, going on 6 years, and nothing significant was improved on the ignore function.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Our users keep complaining about how the "ignore" feature is basically useless. The fact that...

• You can see "You've chosen to ignore content by ..." for each post they make very much ruins the point.
  • When someone quotes that user, you can still see the quoted content, also doesn't make much sense, though I can at least see why this would technically be difficult to remedy.

I also have a lot of them requesting reciprocal ignore, so the users they ignore don't see their posts either, but I'm less convinced that one's a good idea.

• 10 months later...

10 years later, and here we are - NOTHING.

it’s pretty obvious that Invision developers and product managers, simply said, just don’t care about providing an effective and functional ignore function. This is most likely the case because none of them run their own forums, and thus (as usual) don’t actually have any clue as to what functionality is useful for a forum.

There is a plug-in from Adriano Faria (thank you @Adriano Faria), “Disallow Ignored Members From Replying in My Topics” which does a great job allowing forum members to keep their threads clean of members they ignore - though the ignored members still see the topic, they can not reply or post in it. This is a great start.

I guess the only way to get a proper reciprocal ignore feature is to commission a developer to create it - I’ve asked around, and quoted prices range anywhere from a couple of $100 to nearly $1,500. Might be worth it, seeing as how this will never happen from Invision.