Feature Suggestion: The ability to properly modify user permissions

ᴡᴅツ

Post created per suggestion.

Selective permissions cannot be created, especially on subscription based forums. I have a forum where it's subscription based so every month each member gets demoted to Validating until they buy new subscription. Of these members, 1 of them is not allowed to post in Forum X but is allowed to view the posts in Forum X.

This cannot be done however, without over-riding the user's permissions. This is not a proper solution for the member then gains indefinite access to the forum after subscription expires.

I am requesting the ability to deny specific users of certain permissions, e.g., only being able to view posts in Forum X, so that it does not affect the Primary Group by overriding it.

You already can. You can assign the user a permission set that overrides their group permission set.

This is getting annoying. Overriding permissions is not the solution on a subscription based site. If that member bought 1 month subscription to be in the Members group, the subscription is NULL and VOID. Do you see the problem? It can't be done and this needs to be addressed.

lolwhut? So you want to change the permission without overriding it? News flash bro, overriding it, is another name for changing it. Either they have permission or they don't. They can't have permission but be denied permission at the same time one of them takes precedence. And if you assign an override on the user it won't affect the group that they are in.

It actually does effect the group they're in from my experience. Let's say you're in the member group "PAID member." When you OVER-RIDE that permission using a permission mask, it is PERMANENT. After the subscription expires, the member still has access. You may be incorrect concerning your first statement. A change of permission is not the same as over-riding it.

Archon Neo - I'm very confused by what you are asking. You have a user who is in a primary group and you don't want that group to change, is that correct? Then, you want to change their permissions in forum x, but you don't want to override their group permissions - you want to change the group permissions for just that one forum, is that correct?

Either way, I can say that this is not a change you are likely to see in the near future, so if this is something you need you may want to look for a modification for now.

I'll explain it like this, hopefully it will help (but it's similar to what you said above)

Forum (entirely subscription based, no free access)

Primary group: Paid Members

500 Paid Members

Of the 500 Paid members that pay a monthly subscription to have continual access, 1 of them is not allowed to make replies or create threads in Forum X, but is allowed full access to other forums.

How can this be done? I can't use permission over-rides because it over-rides the primary group which is Paid Members. What happens is the user instead of having the roles in the Primary Group, is over-ridden with whatever permission mask I set. The problem with this is that it is permanent. I can't make it so the account expires every month automatically. Therefore, after I override the permissions, that member gains free access.

So you want special permissions to prevent a member who has paid for a subscription from creating threads/replying to threads in a forum that would normally be part of the subscription they paid for?

Yes, he was being racist in one particular forum consistently. Members had complained and I need a way to stop him from posting in that section rather than banning him altogether because he's not a problem elsewhere.

This might help: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2840-sos30-ban-members-from-forums-v100/

If you still want him to be able to view the forum even though he can't post there (I can't see why as that could just provoke him into shooting off reams of complaints across other sections of the forums).

This might help: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/2840-sos30-ban-members-from-forums-v100/

If you still want him to be able to view the forum even though he can't post there (I can't see why as that could just provoke him into shooting off reams of complaints across other sections of the forums).

That sure would have come in handy for me a few times. :D

..Al

Hurrm it would appear that some of what I wrote didn't go through (either that or I just forgot to type it in :P). In any case the last sentence was meant to read:

If you still want him to be able to view the forum even though he can't post there (I can't see why as that could just provoke him into shooting off reams of complaints across other sections of the forums) this modification won't do it, it simply denies the user access to the forum.

Archived