One of the worst things about support here

Razasharp

I agree with the OP. The combination of search the way its been and the private forums is severely penalizing those that actually want to try to take the time to search for their own solutions. I would wager that if search was not so completely dysfunctional on this forum, that IPS ticket volume would go down a measurable amount, improving response time for the rest of the tickets and decreasing corporate overhead. And I would also agree that the IPS search will never completely replace Google search and I don't really see the point of having these private forums.

The search is vastly improved in 3.1 which we'll use here as soon as we can.

We used to have the P2P forums open for everyone a while ago and it was a very unpopular decision based on the feedback of our paying customers. Most of them didn't like that those who chose not to renew their licenses are able to access the same level of forum support as the ones that do. This was the feedback we received from our community.

Are people that concerned that people pay a renewal? Just to get support that is not from IPS. Getting help period is not something people should pay for. Ya if they want ticket support and product updates fine. This just seems like customers acting better than others because they have renewed.

FWIW, I am not a fan of keeping the content hidden as I've never believed that protectionism is effective. Saying that I am all for not allowing expired licensees to post.

As long as IPS continues with the ass kicking new feature releases, THAT is what will lead to people renewing licenses - at least more so than simply because they can't read topics in the unsupported P2P forums ;)

Exactly, so what if some pirates find the help topics. Lets face it simply locking away the p2p forums hurts the customer not the pirate. Its kinda sad people think warez people even care. They will find what they want no matter what. While the customer who payed for a license is punished.

Exactly, so what if some pirates find the help topics. Lets face it simply locking away the p2p forums hurts the customer not the pirate. Its kinda sad people think warez people even care. They will find what they want no matter what. While the customer who payed for a license is punished.

That's backwards logic. How is the customer being punished if they have access to the P2P forums while the pirates don't? :blink:

If there was a way to know who has a valid license (even if it's no longer active) as well as knowing the latest version they could legally have, then I'd be more than happy to help them out when I could. The benefit would be they get free peer support, but only for up to the version they have. If they are asking for support for the latest version for their site but they shouldn't have the latest version, then there's something wrong.

That's backwards logic. How is the customer being punished if they have access to the P2P forums while the pirates don't? :blink:

If there was a way to know who has a valid license (even if it's no longer active) as well as knowing the latest version they could legally have, then I'd be more than happy to help them out when I could. The benefit would be they get free peer support, but only for up to the version they have. If they are asking for support for the latest version for their site but they shouldn't have the latest version, then there's something wrong.

No I'm saying that the customer (or prior customer) not having access its hurting the community. The pirate will not care. They can always find what they need or find someone to help them. A warez user isn't probably going to care much about the official support site as long as they can use the product.

No I'm saying that the customer (or prior customer) not having access its hurting the community. The pirate will not care. They can always find what they need or find someone to help them. A warez user isn't probably going to care much about the official support site as long as they can use the product.

A warez user will still try the official site for support. It's sort of like a snub, to steal something and then seek official support or peer support for their ill gotten product. If they can't get it then they will sometimes complain about how the company sucks for not helping or for treating the badly when they've bought the product, etc.

• Management

It's really not about piracy. You guys are really off on a tangent there :)

We used to have it visible to everyone and paying customers complained saying they thought it should be a privileged access for those with an active license. So we made it so.

Have to listen to the paying customers as you all know.

It's really not about piracy. You guys are really off on a tangent there :)

We used to have it visible to everyone and paying customers complained saying they thought it should be a privileged access for those with an active license. So we made it so.

Have to listen to the paying customers as you all know.

Never once in the 5 years or so I've been a vB customer have I seen a single person complain that support forums could be seen by non paying members. Additionally, I can't see why anyone would care - especially given the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

• Management

Never once in the 5 years or so I've been a vB customer have I seen a single person complain that support forums could be seen by non paying members. Additionally, I can't see why anyone would care - especially given the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Call me crazy but we do tend to listen to our customers more than vB's customers :)

If people say that want the customer forums hidden to non-customers that's what they get.

As I recall, if you let your license expire with vB then you must cease using the product, thus meaning that if you're asking for support and you don't have an active license, then you're in violation anyway. Thus, 'previous customers' wouldn't be an issue anyway.

Archived