One of the worst things about support here

Razasharp

...is I can't use Google to search for stuff.

I really wish IPS reconsider showing thread content to guests/search engines because I'm fairly sure most of what I want to know will have been asked before in the P2P forums (lets face it, no forum search is a match for Google).

Not only would it be 10 times quicker for customers, but it would help staff by not having to deal with so many repeated questions.

The problem with that is then the warez kiddies can find information too.

P2P forums that are under lock and key is a good thing in my opinion... now, if they could figure out how to get their search to work like Google, then they would be on to something.. (w00t)

I do understand where you're coming from because like yourself I like searching and finding things rather than bother people with something that has been asked over and over again....

Jamie

• Management

The search is vastly improved in 3.1 which we'll use here as soon as we can.

We used to have the P2P forums open for everyone a while ago and it was a very unpopular decision based on the feedback of our paying customers. Most of them didn't like that those who chose not to renew their licenses are able to access the same level of forum support as the ones that do. This was the feedback we received from our community.

The problem with that is then the warez kiddies can find information too.

P2P forums that are under lock and key is a good thing in my opinion... now, if they could figure out how to get their search to work like Google, then they would be on to something.. (w00t)

I do understand where you're coming from because like yourself I like searching and finding things rather than bother people with something that has been asked over and over again....

Jamie

I don't care about the warez folk tbh - they usually have their own support networks that they turn to, and I don't see any point in penalising paying customers for something they do. :unsure:

We used to have the P2P forums open for everyone a while ago and it was a very unpopular decision based on the feedback of our paying customers. Most of them didn't like that those who chose not to renew their licenses are able to access the same level of forum support as the ones that do. This was the feedback we received from our community.

Unless it's vastly improved it's still going to be frustrating and slow :( (because most people are used to the effectiveness of a Google search). Although isn't there a way now where google can index content if you give it a username/password? So even tho the page is indexed there's no cached version and the person has to log in to view it? I might be mistaken but I vaguely remember an email from google telling me about it :-/ (could be for adsense mind)

Re paying customers, they get to ask questions and receive support - 2 extra things that not paying customers don't.

Does the 3.1 search allow you to search for content that includes more than one word? At the mo I think it just searches for 'any' of the words?

:blink:

what does this thread have to do with 'support' here .... As matt said, and i hope too that there will be improved search in 3.1 which i guess would be released on :ph34r:

Because it's impeding the level of support here, imo.

Matt FTW! ;)

I know that my opinion won't change anything, and in fact it shouldn't because it'd be a huge undertaking at best. As far as I'm concerned, if someone has purchased a license and they are no longer an active customer simply because their license(s) have expired (as opposed to selling them off), then I don't see a problem with them still at least being able to see/read the posts. After all, if they have supported the product, then there should remain some lingering appreciation, especially if they used to have access to stuff that they may still need for their outdating product. They would still be able to get P2P support on their version (by means of old topics). So long as the warez people don't get free support from here, I'm not worried about who else can see it.

Unless it's vastly improved it's still going to be frustrating and slow :( (because most people are used to the effectiveness of a Google search). Although isn't there a way now where google can index content if you give it a username/password? So even tho the page is indexed there's no cached version and the person has to log in to view it? I might be mistaken but I vaguely remember an email from google telling me about it :-/ (could be for adsense mind)

I know that it's possible to request search engines to not cache the content (although technically it still does somewhere), but that's not completely reliable. An engine could blatantly ignore it and still cache the contents anyway or may cache the content you want to remain private while not caching the content you want others to be able to view.

Even if there was a way to make it so that only Google could index the private forums and knew that it wouldn't cache the contents, do you know how long it would take to fully index all of the pages of all of the topics in each of the private forums? Unless IPS decided to let Google bomb the board with a billion (not literally) bots, bringing it to a crawl, it would take several days at minimum.

I'm not sure. Is that a compliment for Rikki, or a sneaky way of snubbing both Charles and I?

I just wanted to be different. :(

You guys are great too. Hurrah, etc.

• Management

You don't really get to see Charles' real personality on this forum. He is really different in person / on the phone. He puts up a front, but he's a kitty-cat under it all. Although he's not really a cat "person".

FWIW, I am not a fan of keeping the content hidden as I've never believed that protectionism is effective. Saying that I am all for not allowing expired licensees to post.

As long as IPS continues with the ass kicking new feature releases, THAT is what will lead to people renewing licenses - at least more so than simply because they can't read topics in the unsupported P2P forums ;)

Charles took about 4 or 5 days to get back to me so he doesn't quite reach stardom status :P Matt gets back to you within 30 seconds most days (so long as it's not before his bedtime!). That's like super duper fast :thumbsup:

As long as IPS continues with the ass kicking new feature releases, THAT is what will lead to people renewing licenses - at least more so than simply because they can't read topics in the unsupported P2P forums ;)

Completely agree - hiding forums isn't going to get people to renew, just think it's a way of 'trying' to get them to. Get people to renew because they want to - not cos they have to (within reason of course). It's a subtle but very important cultural difference - always put the balance of power in favour of your customer, they'll love you more for it in the long run.

Archived