IPB 3.0.x Security Update Problem.

bnbn1382

I read it and it says I need 3.0.5 version.

Well I have bought the license and it expired before 3.0.5 released.
Does this mean I have to buy a new 6month license to get 3.0.5 then update, or is there any other ways around it?

Currently, I just got the files uploaded in my directory.

I read it and it says I need 3.0.5 version.

Well I have bought the license and it expired before 3.0.5 released.

Does this mean I have to buy a new 6month license to get 3.0.5 then update, or is there any other ways around it?

The answer to your question isn't blowing in the wind, it's right inside the announcement. Read the part that I enlarged the size of.

Resolution

Please download the relevant zip for your IP.Board. Expand the zip file and upload the file over the copy on your server. No other action is required.

IP.Board 3.0.5

[size="3"]Please note this patch will only work with IP.Board 3.0.5.[/size] If you are using an earlier version of IP.Board 3.0 then you will need to upgrade to IP.Board 3.0.5. After you have upgraded, you will not need to add this patch.

I'd suggest paying the $25 renewal and update to 3.0.5 (which now already includes the patch). Either that or compare the files and try to figure out what the differences are and make the fix yourself. Although to be honest, I wouldn't recommend that because it could cause other unforeseen issues.

No what I was asking was,

Or can I just upload it on my server when I have 3.0.3 ?

I know I need an active license to download / upgrade to 3.0.5

It kind of seems like IPB is trying to force me to buy it :(

You don't buy a whole new licence. It's a renewal @ $25

No what I was asking was,

Do I need 3.0.5 in order for 305xss_march10.zip to work?

Or can I just upload it on my server when I have 3.0.3 ?

I know I need an active license to download / upgrade to 3.0.5

It kind of seems like IPB is trying to force me to buy it :(

We cannot release security patches for every version ever released. We write the patch against the latest version, and release it.

Now, we've opted to post this patch publicly so that anyone and everyone is able to access it to download it. It is NOT fully compatible with IPB 3.0.3, no. That is the reason for the note in the announcement. There's nothing we can do about that, however. You have a few options

1) Renew your license and upgrade to the latest version
2) Backport the code changes in the patch to the version you are running

We are not trying to force you to buy the upgrade (else we wouldn't have released the patch publicly, of course). However, we also do not support outdated versions either.

Archived