Privacy for chldrens

i82be34u

Hello,

with such a title I am pretty sure some of you will read and with chance reply to my request:

It could be very good for security (especialy for childrens but after all for evrybody too) to be able tp define who can see what in the member list. Like you can decide which forum can be read by one special group!

let's have an example:
It's very "easy" : the member of the group "childrens" are able to see all the children member in the global member list and the members of all other groups (exept the ones with member list display restriction) but the rest of the board can't see them. Hidden! They do not exist like their board so no (less) risk about intruder.

Hope to have a solution soon! :thumbsup:

If a board that permits (and actually expects) children to join, then that board is supposed to follow the COPPA guidelines and require parental consent for children to join. Once they turn 13, they are no longer children and can join any site even without parental permission (at least, as a board owner, you don't need their permission).

What you're suggesting, if I understand you correctly, is to be able to specify which groups can view profiles of members of a particular group (like if you are modifying a group named "Jailbait", you would tell it which other groups may view the profiles of members in the group "Jailbait"). This sounds good in theory but it's not that easy to enforce or implement. You then have to start policing members to make sure they don't change their ages to get around any age restrictions, move members based on their age, etc. Also, someone could easily create a dummy account to get around the rules.

No, no, it's not a public board (w00t) , it's private, and doesn't need to manage nothing about the age and so on because the childrens parents already agree with it and the group do not allow new members exept the ones reqired by the group: kind of close club only for chilrens of one school.Only the admin allow acces. :cool:

But childrens case is one way to use it ; it's also very interesting in the case you want to use for clients workgroups!

Imagine: you work for few different clients that do not do the same thing but do not appriciate them or are jalouse :devil: from each other which is very very often the case in my work, and you want to put them on the same fourm? naaaah! not with the member list open! So, for now, until I have a different solution, each of my workgroups will work on private subboards but with no members list available.

Does it make more sens for you? :)

Okay so set up different groups, where they each have access to different areas so that they will never see each other's posts. Set up each group to be anonymous when they sign in so that the online list is useless except to staff.

Set up the groups to also not be available in the member list, so that member searches are useless as well.

Poof, done (at least for the most part).

Exactly! and that's the point: even members of the same group can't see others details which turn the member list otpion to a usless otpion! or...devlopp some code to make the group seen only by autorized groups.

As you said: Poof, easy! :lol: But could be so Business helpfull!

Yes...and I am affraid some other did it for other board type:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=358975

MOD Description: With this MOD admin can decide who gets to view the memberlist. Options include: All, registered users, moderators, admins. Options are settable from the ACP.

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH! phpbb not invision !!!!!!!!!!! who want to devlopp this for us?

Yes...and I am affraid some other did it for other board type:

[url="http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=358975"]http://www.phpbb.com...ic.php?t=358975[/url]

MOD Description: With this MOD admin can decide who gets to view the memberlist. Options include: All, registered users, moderators, admins. Options are settable from the ACP.

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH! phpbb not invision !!!!!!!!!!! who want to devlopp this for us?

That's nothing like you can describe. That mod is a built in feature of Invision Board, and has been since 1.0.

The mod you are requesting is highly involved. If you are requesting someone create a mod like it, that would be best done in the modifications forum. I am not 100% sure there is really enough demand to expect this to be built in.

The impression I was getting is it being a feature request where you could limit who can find members of a certain group which, if done correctly, could actually be taken to the point of restricting members to only seeing others of the same group.

As it is now, I think you can prevent members of certain (up to ALL) groups from being viewable via the member list as well as preventing groups from viewing the member list altogether. But you can't select which groups they can see or vice-versa.

If i understood you well - this is built in option. You can decide which groups can see memberslist in group editing -> Global ( tab ) > Can view member profiles and member list?.

more exactly:

Global ( tab ) > That group Can view member profiles of which group? > Select one ore more value in the List of the groups

I am not 100% sure there is really enough demand to expect this to be built in.

You are probably right but maybe users didn't thing at first it can be use the way I tryed to explain here. It's not only an additional security it's also a very nice feature for business.

Anyone to devlopp this? :cool:

I can see potential use for this, especially if you want to cater to a few different groups. With the exception of being able to limit which members can see which groups, what you want could be accomplished via Member Groups, which is a feature that has been requested a few times, even recently.

With what you're wanting, you could essentially have several different groups of people on your board and have them so isolated from each other that it would virtually feel like they are the only group on there. Not a bad thing when you need to limit exposure of certain members for their own safety, but could become a tedious task when you need to remove people from groups because they no longer qualify for being in that group. For example, you said about having a group for kids/parents of a certain school. What about when the kids move to another school?

I can see potential use for this, especially if you want to cater to a few different groups. With the exception of being able to limit which members can see which groups, what you want could be accomplished via Member Groups, which is a feature that has been requested a few times, even recently.

With what you're wanting, you could essentially have several different groups of people on your board and have them so isolated from each other that it would virtually feel like they are the only group on there. Not a bad thing when you need to limit exposure of certain members for their own safety, but could become a tedious task when you need to remove people from groups because they no longer qualify for being in that group. For example, you said about having a group for kids/parents of a certain school. What about when the kids move to another school?

No problem as far they respect the rules! They are steel childrens and as far there is no complane about them from other childrens...no problem... it's very easy to remove them like removing any other user if necessary, remember that in such groups you can't register by yourself. It's really like you said isolated groups.

I didn't see such a thing anywhere for now...exept maybe in last phpbb but it's a mod not a built in. It's the ultimate security: as we said in french "Pas vu, pas pris" "I don't see me, you can't catch me". :ph34r:

Of course it could be used by some to completly hide their existance for bad reasons...but that's like a gun: do I use it to defend myself or to kill somebody? :ermm:

For me it make sens why to make groups with access limited if you can see who's in the group? It could be enough to cause troubles. And why retricted groups user can't be able to see who's their neigbors.

Well! Any devlopper around? :cool:

The idea of being able to set up permissions on each usergroup what usergroups can view their memberprofiles is actually very awesome.
That way you can for instance set up VIP usergroups which makes no one able to view their profile(except staff of course).

as we said in french "Pas vu, pas pris" "I don't see me, you can't catch me". :ph34r:

I think you mean to say, "You don't see me, you can't catch me".

Of course it could be used by some to completly hide their existance for bad reasons...but that's like a gun: do I use it to defend myself or to kill somebody? :ermm:

Anything good can be used for bad and anything bad can be used for good.

I think what you need, specifically, is this in the member group settings:

Can be seen in the member list: Yes / No / Only by other members of same group
Can view member list: Yes / No / Only members of same group / Only members of same group + admins and supermods

Then allow those with ACP access to view ALL members, regardless of group.

After that, you'd only need a mod that would allow members (in a default group that can't view anyone's profile) to apply for the group/groups they wish to be a part of. Then those in charge of those groups would accept them or not. This would be different from a Member Groups in that they would only handle the membership, not a full fledged feature set of member groups.

Archived