Ajax quick reply

Razasharp

There are many "what if's" to overcome.

What if the thread has 300 pages, you're on page 1, and submit a fast reply? What would happen exactly? Would all 300 pages of posts plus your new post be inserted into the page? Would just your new post be inserted? That would be confusing, as it should be after the other 300 pages of posts, not before. When you refresh, your post suddenly gets reordered (in the eyes of the customer). These sorts of questions are what really make implementing such a feature in a way that doesn't seem buggy difficult. Because it will happen lol.

I don't have that strong a feeling about the ajax fast reply. On a personal level I feel it's useless, but everyone has their own opinions, and as I've said before, we don't really write the software just for "us". ;)

Well it could be only available (AJAXed) in the last page. on other pages it serves as a normal (fast) reply, it refreshes and goes to the last page. I know this make it more complicated to code though.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you read all the suggestions Brandon :)

Re where would the reply be added if there are multiple pages and they're on page 1 (I think this was already mentioned) but to the end. So in that case the page would reload - and that's fine, because for 90% of the time that wouldn't be the case.

Either way, as the developer you would experiment and find the most logical, user friendly solution :)

• 1 month later...

.. well this is not good if you mean what you said..

''It's not a feature that I am personally interested in adding'' by Josh..
its not against you but.. does it matter what you like or what the customers like/want ??

i would like to have this aswell.. its a great feature even VB is supporting this since a long time
read this for more: [url="

''It's not a feature that I am personally interested in adding'' by Josh..

its not against you but.. does it matter what you like or what the customers like/want ??

He asked me what my opinion of the feature was and I gave it. That doesn't mean that it won't ever be included, just that it's not a priority to me.

Part of the problem with any feature is useability and purpose overall.

Another issue is when you have a popular and well know forum software like Vbulletin and become used to specific features that you may use a lot of as a member of forums that use it, as well as if you are a mod or admin of a forum running that software. So when forum software like IPB doesn't have it, it almost has a fish out of water feel to it. Or even an outdated feel.

Part of the reason for ajax quick reply is the instant gratification. It's like going from the speed of a fast food restaurant to the speed of a mom and pop diner.

I myself prefer ajax quick reply. It just makes things feel faster and smoother overall. As well as more efficient.

• 3 months later...

I don't understand why everyone is arguing over $5. IPS has clearly made its point that they think this is an unnecessary feature and an overusage of Ajax in the forum. They are not going to change their mind as we have seen in the past 5 pages. Even though the majority of the posters really wanted this functionality added, and only 3 or 4 customers thought it was unnecessary or annoying. If IPS isn't going to make the change and implement this, I would suggest you add it yourself for only $5. It is a feature your members will absolutely love and thank you for it, as it saves so much time when replying to topics daily and in bulk. Not to mention the resources and bandwidth it can save for your server.

This is why I have created a modification for IPB3 that adds Ajax to quick replies. It includes all of the requested features, such as showing all posts made by others after the topic has been loaded and supporting back/forward browser buttons as if it was a normal page load.

Someone in the topic mentioned my mod was laggy while revealing the Ajax post. If you are experiencing slowness with the reveal effect, there are 4 other effects you can choose from, which are not laggy at all, but a little less flashy. It is all up to you.

>>> http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/3064-en30-ajax-fast-reply-v104/ <<<

Features:

• The browser scrolls smoothly to the new posts.
  • Posts reveal to the user with one of the following built-in effects according to admin input:
    Effect.Shake
    Effect.Appear
    Effect.Pulsate
    Effect.BlindDown
    Effect.Highlight
  • New posts that have been made after the page has been loaded are highlighted automatically with an effect of your choice.
  • If the board is set to merge concurrent posts, the pre-merge post is faded out and the post-merge post is revealed.
  • Support for back/forward browser buttons.
  • The fast reply textarea is cleared after every successful reply.
  • Admin CP settings allow disabling ajax fast replies by forum and by group, selecting effect types, fine-tuning the effect parameters, and enabling/disabling this hook.

Demo Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7fqa7i7i8A

I don't understand why everyone is arguing over $5. IPS has clearly made its point that they think this is an unnecessary feature and an overusage of Ajax in the forum. They are not going to change their mind as we have seen in the past 5 pages.

Well, i wouldnt say unnecessary. I have seen the feature in xenforums and loved it.

Well, i wouldnt say unnecessary. I have seen the feature in xenforums and loved it.

I didn't say it was unnecessary. If that's what I thought why would I make that mod? This is what IPS thinks on the matter of ajax fast reply as you can see in this topic and many others on this forum.

Archived