Part-quote in 1 post

Tanax

I don't know if this is a good idea or if others of you have thought about this, but if someone writes a really long posts, I might want to quote some parts in that post but not the whole post. Wouldn't it be great if you selected a part in the post(like marked it) and then click a new button "Part-quote" or w.e it could be called, and it automatically quotes that part (into the $_POST request when you click "Reply") and deselects the part. Perhaps highlight it differently so you know that you have "part-quoted" it. If you select a part that you have part-quoted, you will be able to "part-unquote" it.

Here's an example of what I mean, this post made by Wolfie:

I know that v3.0.0 is feature locked so not requesting it for that.

Hopefully these are simple enough that they can make it into v3.1.0 though.

* When you are on someone's profile and click to send them a PM, if you will not be able to complete that PM for some reason (user has their PM turned off for example), notify the user then instead of when they click the "send" button. If they do it from their own messenger, where they have to type in the name, then that's different.

* Made this request back in the v2.2.x days. In the ACP, for the listing of bans (IP/username/email), have each in a separate tab. That way the admin can view only the list they want to see.

* For bans, allow option to use regular expressions, per ban. Default would be as it is now, but when adding a ban, admin to select to say that the ban is using a regular expression. For those who know how to use it, it would provide greater power for banning multiple objects in a single line instead of adding multiple lines.

* For bans, allow multiple lines to be entered at the same time (via option to add multiple filters at one time). Could only be one filter type at a time, such as IP or email, but could enter one ban per line, then submit all at one time.

* Some way of detecting if the board is on an IPS server or not. If not, give the admin the option to not honor a members choice to not receive bulk emails. I don't know if IPS hosting customers can modify their own source but if not, then perhaps include a line to edit in a specific file that would enable the option.

* If last item is not possible, then some option for being able to send out an email to everyone in the selected user groups in an effort to test email addresses. Way I see it, if someone doesn't have a valid email address, I don't want them to have access on the board. Wouldn't have to be a big email and could be something internal that can't be easily altered. Something small like "Account status checking" for the topic and inside a brief explanation letting the member know that no action is necessary, it's just checking for expired accounts and to please not mark it as spam. Also restricting how often it can be used would be a nice idea, to prevent abuse.

* Facebook: Be able to prohibit the creation of new accounts using FBC, but allow members to associate accounts with Facebook.

* Facebook: Allow admin access to view/edit a members Facebook information (including a link to view the members profile).

* Custom profile fields: Include 2 lines that the admin can use, both optional of course. First line would be a URL/link line. Second would be a display format. Both would replace {content} with the members input. This would be useful when external services are made into fields, such as Twitter or Photobucket, etc. Also could be used to replace all the if/then and else-if statements in the skin to cover things like AIM, MSN, etc.

As I said before, I know that it's too late for v3.0.0 so please consider for v3.1.0 or v3.2.0 (if there will be such a version). For those who feel compelled to tell me that v3.0.0 is feature locked, please read this post again.

Really long! I want to be able to reply to him and quote some stuff in his post, something like this:

* When you are on someone's profile and click to send them a PM, if you will not be able to complete that PM for some reason (user has their PM turned off for example), notify the user then instead of when they click the "send" button. If they do it from their own messenger, where they have to type in the name, then that's different.

* Facebook: Be able to prohibit the creation of new accounts using FBC, but allow members to associate accounts with Facebook.

* Facebook: Allow admin access to view/edit a members Facebook information (including a link to view the members profile).

With part-quote, you can!
Any inputs?

I know someone -repped me before, apparently someone +repped me again.
However, instead of just -repping, please write what you think if you think it's a bad suggestion. Remember that everything needs to be discussed! Not all ideas can be great ideas(more specifically, cover everyone's needs) from the beginning.

I always just hist the reply button and delete out what I don't want to include in the quote. It doesn't come up often enough for me to think that it's a lot of effort to do it that way.

I usually do that too. But if it's a long post and you want several quotes from the same post and to be able to comment on each quote, you need to hit reply -> remove the parts you don't want -> seperate the quote by manually writing more [ /quote]'s and [ quote='name' date'' timestamp='' post=''] (<- although this can be copied from the orginal quoted text, it's still a lot of work).

Check this post:
He wanted to comment on each thing by having multiple quotes from the same post. This illustrates exactly what I mean.

If I'm not mistaken, we had this until IPB 2.2.2. We selected a text and when clicked on fast reply to open it, the text was there... On 2.3.0 we couldn't do it anymore.

I also think I remember it was a feature before.

I think you have a good idea, Tanax. Although it isn't a lot of trouble to delete the unwanted. Sometimes it turns out you did want something near the bottom.

That's true. Perhaps in the post-reply form(not the quick-reply) you should be able to "View original post" for each quote you have in your postform. Like a button that makes a window pop up when you click it and you'll see the original post and will be able to select more parts to part-quote or even quote the whole post.

• 2 months later...

Archived