Feature Requests

OrahChris

So far I'm loving the chat application. Great work, I actually prefer it's hosted on IPB rather than my own chared server. One less thing I have to deal with. Here are some features I thought would be nice to have

1. Invisible mod - I enjoy talking with the members, but not all the time. I would like to check on things without members getting admin happy
2. Private chat - I think this was mentioned but would be nice to have
3. Announcement on top of the chat - "Today is we love IPB day let's talk about it" something like that
4. Edit and delete chats - I'm sure this is on the way
5. Change the name of the chat box from "IP.Chat" to something else :)
6. Flood control - Some members love the enter button way to much. Character limit would be nice too.

And that's really all I can think up.

• 2 weeks later...

How about multiple chat rooms?

Yes, this right here would be a deal breaker for me. If I could get the service with multiple rooms in the chat. I'd be glad to buy it right now. :)

Also, I might just be missing this, but is there logging

(of course, I'm self hosting if that matters any)

Mostly because they're used to the old chat I used, but some of my members requests are:
- more editor features like the forum editor has with colors, fonts, etc...
- the ignore feature mentioned above +1
- programming hooks into the text returned before it gets displayed to everyone, so that things could be added locally like dice rolling ( /roll 2d6+3 ), word filters, etc...

1. vertical sidebar block
for whos chatting - better exposure - more chance of people using if see other members in there

2. invite chat feature
could display next to send pm thru out the board
a simple pm sent to the member with a link to the chat room
(if private or more rooms etc added later this could include such)
similar to google invite chat

3. in chat
similar to has gallery, blog etc links
if use is in chat room a chat icon shows with link to chatroom

1. vertical sidebar block

for whos chatting - better exposure - more chance of people using if see other members in there

This section already exists in the board index stats area.

2. invite chat feature

could display next to send pm thru out the board

a simple pm sent to the member with a link to the chat room

(if private or more rooms etc added later this could include such)

similar to google invite chat

This sounds interesting. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Management

That would require multiple licenses I think. Not sure.

When we add multiple rooms (which we will) it will NOT require multiple licenses. It will just be a cumulative count of people in the chat room(s). To answer the next question: one person who is in three rooms at once will still only count as one "user" in the chat for purposes of limits.

An option, in my opinion, it would be interesting the possibility to open chat in an external window (popup... mmmmmh) to allow you to browse the forum while you chat.

Thanks for your work

Lucio

www.cesareforum.com

Right click the Chat link and click open in new window :)

Private Chat by double clicking on a username in the list.

Silence command so an Admin can silence a user for x minutes

Voice command so an Admin can give voice back to that user

Bots so you can be having a game with a bot whilst waiting for someone else to enter chat.

Downloadable chat log available to Admin.

Before I'd buy IP Chat, it needs to have the following:
(Some of them it may already have, the features list on the IPB website isn't exactly long).

* Private Chat
* Multi-rooms with permissions (i.e. the person who created the room has rights to kick etc..)
* Moderated chat - i.e. so we could hold an interview with someone on the chat and people can't interrupt between the interviewer and the interviewee
* Rooms with passwords (i.e. so the mods can get together and have a chat about members on the forum without everything hearing what they think of them! lol
* Ability to invite people into the chat
* Board has an icon next to a person's post when a thread is viewed saying they are in the chat, even if the last action they did was to browse a thread (i.e they have chat open in one window and browsing in another).

Before I'd buy IP Chat, it needs to have the following:

(Some of them it may already have, the features list on the IPB website isn't exactly long).

* Private Chat

* Multi-rooms with permissions (i.e. the person who created the room has rights to kick etc..)

* Moderated chat - i.e. so we could hold an interview with someone on the chat and people can't interrupt between the interviewer and the interviewee

* Rooms with passwords (i.e. so the mods can get together and have a chat about members on the forum without everything hearing what they think of them! lol

* Ability to invite people into the chat

* Board has an icon next to a person's post when a thread is viewed saying they are in the chat, even if the last action they did was to browse a thread (i.e they have chat open in one window and browsing in another).

Private Chat has been discussed but I dont see it going anywhere....
Mutli-Room is planned for future versions, I believe it was said somewhere.
Moderated Chat:
Password Rooms: +1 for this. Good idea.
Invite into chat:
Icon: This would be a great feature, would love to see this.

Archived