Dissapointed in the lack of refund policy

wgl

After looking at the demo, we bit on purchasing IPB two weeks ago. Our staff installed the application on a sandbox and within a week's time had determined that while IPB is a solid product, the core files do not suit our project. We inquired about a refund policy and were informed that there was none. We are now the proud owner of a $150 forum application that will likely never be used.

Double check, triple check and quadruple check everything before you purchase. There's no turning back.

When buying ANYTHING digital, via online especially, you CANNOT get a refund once the files or software are in your possession, this should be for OBVIOUS reasons, but if they aren't obvious enough, I will state them:

- What's stopping you from claming a refund then still using or illegally re-distributing the software? Nothing. It'd be your word against theirs
-You'd still have access to the support forums and the client area.

Next time DON'T rush into purchasing software, research it, and research it EXTENSIVELY. Write this off as a lesson learn't and move on.

Just out of curiousity, what can't you do with IPB? There is an applications/modules/plugins system in place that should be able to take care of about 98% of your needs as far as modifications go. There really shouldn't be any need to edit any of the system's core files for any reason.

[quote name='Olivier Turbis' date='16 November 2009 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1258390192' post='1879732']
I think if IPB was encoded, they could offer something like a "30 days refund policy". Many script companies do that.

no0ne wants encoded source tho, its seriously alienates you from the product.

I know how to decode Zend encoded files. I'm not sure if anyone else has the tool used to do it, as it's not findable by simple search engine searching, but encoding files isn't always the option.

In my opinion, if I spent money of virtual goods that I later did not want, I expect to NOT get a refund. It's like trying to get a refund for a game you don't like... that's what rentals are for.

[quote name='Dark Slipstream' date='16 November 2009 - 05:22 PM' timestamp='1258392131' post='1879744']that's what rentals are for.

In online world that is called demo. :)

Im not sure how it works, but maybe 48h of demo would be good, or you can have demo again after your 24h expires.

[quote name='theGaVrA' date='16 November 2009 - 12:34 PM' timestamp='1258392894' post='1879751']
How about license's for saaaay IP.Downloads?

Also where could one offer his licens for sale?

You don't sell individual licenses, you would sell the entire account with all of its associated licenses. Bear in mind, though, that this is not endorsed by IPS in any way, it's a transaction between the buyer and seller only, and it's up to the seller to remove any info like credit card numbers from the profile and provide login info to the buyer.

[quote name='Michael' date='16 November 2009 - 05:54 PM' timestamp='1258394092' post='1879760']
You don't sell individual licenses, you would sell the entire account with all of its associated licenses. Bear in mind, though, that this is not endorsed by IPS in any way, it's a transaction between the buyer and seller only, and it's up to the seller to remove any info like credit card numbers from the profile and provide login info to the buyer.

Ahaaa... :) Ok, thanks!

[quote name='Michael' date='16 November 2009 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1258394092' post='1879760']
You don't sell individual licenses, you would sell the entire account with all of its associated licenses.

Yes, that's more correct ! Also if is against their interest, this transaction has always been permitted, and that's quite nice from IPS.

They stated up front what the refund policy was. Not sure why someone would complain when they knew exactly what the terms and conditions were. Also, for an organization with "a staff" - the cost of a software license is almost irrelevant compared to the cost of staff pay and other business expenses.

:rolleyes: Let's not get into debates about encoding and whatnot.

Our standards of service state quite clearly that we do not offer refunds. It is of course disappointing to hear that the product is for whatever reasons not suitable for your needs, but we do not offer refunds due to the fact that we cannot stop the software working if you've already downloaded. We make this policy quite clear in the frequently asked questions section of our website.

If you're actually having a technical problem, I would encourage you to contact technical support - if you have done so and are not happy with the way it's being dealt with, please let us know.
If however, the issue is simply that you don't like the product, I'm not really sure what we can do - we offer demos of up to a week long and have plenty of avenues for asking pre-sales questions.

I'm going to close this thread since discussions about reselling licenses and such which we're getting into isn't really appropriate for these forums - if anyone has any questions about the refund or reselling policies please contact account assistance via the client area :)

Archived