Overtake vbulletin

Nityananda

OK guys, here is my view of IPB now I have had a chance to play with it properly on my own licence etc and what I think it is missing in comparison to vbulletin. To me these would be the key areas that should be concentrated on in order to pull vbulletin apart at the seams ;)

Search functionality - Yep, I can see this has been mentioned over and over so not gonna go into it. You guys know what it needs and I can see your working with it.

Modification area - This needs to be easily viewable to a new customer even if they cannot download. I had to go looking for it and this shouldnt be the case. This is of most importance to a lot of people. It also doesnt seem to have the 'flashyness' of the main website and looks to me as it needs a bit of overhall in order to make it more friendly. Things like people becoming coders/designers etc once they have given so much back to the comunity are a big thing over at vb.org in my opinion and would be a great idea for here. We all know coding is competition to be the best, so give the guys something to compete with. Mod of the month, coder tags, feedback etc (yes I know some of this is there however its not visible enough to a new user)

wysiwyg editor - When I make a piece of text bold, I want to see it bold. Im not interested in the bbcode tags as a user (however I should have the option to view them if I so wish). This to a none technical user of IPB is a massive massive issue which to you or me looks like nothing. However we are the admins not the registered users who struggle to shutdown their pc without a manual.

Will add more as I find them, as its clear your aim is to beat the biggest and you are in a possition at present to do so with ease ;) .. And personally I hope you do

On another note, if I can only find these three annoyances at present, you guys are doin damned well lol

• Management

Search - we are working on search interface improvements for next version.

Mods area - you should be able to view it even if you're not a customer. Were you having issues?

wysiwyg editor - already exists just enabled it in your settings

[quote name='soniceffect' date='25 October 2009 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1256472299' post='1871189']
Search functionality - Yep, I can see this has been mentioned over and over so not gonna go into it. You guys know what it needs and I can see your working with it.

Being new I don't know what you mean by this, and I don't know if IP.B+ already does this, but a single search engine that will show search results for forum threads, posts, blogs, articles, etc. would be ideal.

[quote name='Charles' date='25 October 2009 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1256473718' post='1871197']

Mods area - you should be able to view it even if you're not a customer. Were you having issues?

As an example: when i try to look at the support-topic for the shoutbox ( http://community.invisionpower.com/forum/416-ip-shoutbox/ ) i get:

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information. [#103139] You do not have permission to view this forum.

An Error Occurred

[quote name='Charles' date='25 October 2009 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1256473718' post='1871197']
Search - we are working on search interface improvements for next version.

Top Stuff ;)

[quote name='Charles' date='25 October 2009 - 12:28 PM' timestamp='1256473718' post='1871197']

You can view it, its just not very easily found. To be honest it would probably be a good idea to have a link simply called "Customer Mods" or "Community Mods" in the nav bar on here leading to http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=downloads ..... as an ex vbulletin user, this is exactly the page I wanted to see without going through the other stages of clicking on customer resourcesm then community resources ... The thing is its all there, simply IMO in the wrong place.

wysiwyg editor - already exists just enabled it in your settings

Oooooo ,,, where, cant find it LOL .....

OK ... found the rich text setting ... How do I set this as the default switched on in peoples usercp?

Also I think this is a turn off being switched off to be honest .... It would be better to have it switched on by default, and have the setting to switch it off in performance options IMO

[quote name='soniceffect' date='25 October 2009 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1256482591' post='1871230']
Oooooo ,,, where, cant find it LOL .....

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=settings
Scroll down: Posting Settings -> Enable visual (RTE) editor?

[quote name='Forcize Studios' date='25 October 2009 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1256483956' post='1871241']
Would like an ajax search that display "X" results titles at the time that you write something on the box. Only on the basic mode not in the advanced :)

Regards,

Like in the admincp :) ........

This said however, just tryin to look at the things that are in vbulletin that people like that invision misses .... Ya see there are load and loads and loads that invision has that vbulletin doesnt so it would take a long time for vbulletin to catch up in that respect IMO however only relatively minor changes that can be made to invision to be able to say "Look, we have EVERYTHING vbulletin has, and more" lol

[quote name='Charles' date='25 October 2009 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1256487282' post='1871258']
They have stuff we don't have and we have stuff they don't have. We're not out to replicate anything. We just listen to client feedback and add/change things with each version.

OH I agree completely..... Notice I didnt mention the completely and utterely pointless social groups ;) LOL

[quote name='soniceffect' date='25 October 2009 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1256472299' post='1871189']

Modification area - It also doesnt seem to have the 'flashyness' of the main website and looks to me as it needs a bit of overhall in order to make it more friendly.

I would agree with that. It looks "raw," if you will, at the moment.

[quote name='soniceffect' date='25 October 2009 - 07:04 AM' timestamp='1256472299' post='1871189']
Modification area - This needs to be easily viewable to a new customer even if they cannot download. I had to go looking for it and this shouldnt be the case. This is of most importance to a lot of people. It also doesnt seem to have the 'flashyness' of the main website and looks to me as it needs a bit of overhall in order to make it more friendly. Things like people becoming coders/designers etc once they have given so much back to the comunity are a big thing over at vb.org in my opinion and would be a great idea for here. We all know coding is competition to be the best, so give the guys something to compete with. Mod of the month, coder tags, feedback etc (yes I know some of this is there however its not visible enough to a new user)

+1

[quote name='Charles' date='25 October 2009 - 10:28 AM' timestamp='1256480916' post='1871217']
If you search for something you will notice tabs for other apps (blogs, gallery, etc.) where you can click to get results from those areas too.

Ahh.. I didn't see that before. Either my eyes are getting bad or the colors seem to blend too much. :/

[quote name='soniceffect' date='25 October 2009 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1256489133' post='1871271']
OH I agree completely..... Notice I didnt mention the completely and utterely pointless social groups ;) LOL

I disagree with this. In the SKYWARN world, there are many SKYWARN groups across the country. Some of those groups created a social group on my site.

[quote name='Forcize Studios' date='25 October 2009 - 11:19 AM' timestamp='1256483956' post='1871241']
Would like an ajax search that display "X" results titles at the time that you write something on the box. Only on the basic mode not in the advanced :)

Regards,

We actually had that feature in the betas... Unfortunately it was a server killer for people on shared hosting, so we had to remove it.

[quote name='theGaVrA' date='25 October 2009 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1256490981' post='1871297']
Well you could still leave it like an option for those who are not on shared hosting.... :)

People will always enable options like that when they don't have a good enough server, even if there are warnings in 150-point flashing red text. They'll then proceed to complain about how slow the software is.

[quote name='3DKiwi' date='25 October 2009 - 05:28 PM' timestamp='1256491735' post='1871306']
Getting back to the original topic. As far as I can see IPB has already overtaken VB. VB is now playing catch up with IPB.

3DKiwi

hehe ... me too ... However there are always little 'bits' that make each software better for different users. Only they have more little (huge) bits than we do, and therefore if we fill in the gaps they dont stand a chance ;)

There is just one thing in my opinion that both sides are missing and that is a good Group Moderator System(Ability to make members an owner of a group and give them the ability to put people inside the group where they are moderator in or removing them). vB has this however there they can only accept members instead of adding them. Plus you can't make people a primary member of a group in vB.

Anyway IPB lacks this feature completely and is a feature I would love to see added.

Archived