Emoticons - its time for much needed overhaul!

The Old Man

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, the two features I feel (personally, not as a company representative) we should improve the most in the next version (give the most attention to) are the emoticon manager and the calendar. Granted, it doesn't take our entire development team to do that, so it's not like those would be the only 2 things we work on, but I'm pushing for updates to these two specific areas in the next big update (3.2 most likely). It's a team effort and decision, but I'm pushing for changes to this area.

FWIW, the two features I feel (personally, not as a company representative) we should improve the most in the next version (give the most attention to) are the emoticon manager and the calendar. Granted, it doesn't take our entire development team to do that, so it's not like those would be the only 2 things we work on, but I'm pushing for updates to these two specific areas in the next big update (3.2 most likely). It's a team effort and decision, but I'm pushing for changes to this area.

Wishlist for emoticons:

* emoticon aliases (multiple codes use the same emoticon)
* groups and categories - categories would be public view, groups would be acp for control and organizing
* permission/group level access (per group of emoticons, not per emoticon as that would be overkill)
* ability to re-order everything
* protect existing emoticons during upgrades so that they dont get overwritten :angry:
* NEW SMILIES!!!

• 3 months later...

I am very encouraged to hear that. IP.Board is so sophisticated in some areas. It really caught me off guard how lacking it is in this area. Honestly it was something I did not even think to check when I was evaluating my trial copy of the software, and it would have probably had a negative impact on my purchase decision if I had understood the limitations of IPB's current system.

Wishlist for emoticons:

* emoticon aliases (multiple codes use the same emoticon)

* groups and categories - categories would be public view, groups would be acp for control and organizing

* ability to re-order everything

Yes. We need the ability to group and sort. Aliases would be welcomed also, although I don't personally consider them as important as grouping and sorting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really hope to see it in v3.2

I really hope bfarber has success in getting it included in 3.2, my smilies look an awful disordered mess at the moment.

I think in terms of categories it would be simpler to allow Admins to create multiple categories, assign them friendly names such as Halloween, Christmas, small, large etc, and then have the option to enable or disable them in the manager (whilst the board would still show disabled ones in post content so as not to break content unless the smiley was physically deleted from the server via AdminCP).

You could go a step further and add a start and end date for the enablement of the category for seasonal ones, but that's probably OTT as it doesn't take much for an Admin to pop into the AdminCP and turn them on or off.

Easy drag and drop re-ordering would be nice too especially in the clickable smilies box. You could assign smilies as unique numbers to aid ordering them and then have an optional friendly name that would display as alt text when you hover over them.

The idea of allowing members the option to display their smilies in order of most used (either personal or board-wide, cached of course) would be nice too if resources allowed, perhaps as another tab next to the individual categories within the smiley box.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that IPB3 is here, I think its really time to address the way emoticons are managed

Surely there has to be a better, less confusing way of managing them

Precisely.

you can add new folders by pressing the "Create New Folder" on the manage emoticons page - simply enter the folder name and it will be created.

http://community.inv...management-r166

IP.Board Message

IP.Board cannot create a new folder for you, please create the folder manually using FTP in 'style_emoticons'.

That's what I get, beats me how this thing works. P.I.T.A.

I do believe it should have been done to finish off the modernisation of the existing board features before concentrating on the new features.

Seconded.

I am very encouraged to hear that. IP.Board is so sophisticated in some areas. It really caught me off guard how lacking it is in this area. Honestly it was something I did not even think to check when I was evaluating my trial copy of the software, and it would have probably had a negative impact on my purchase decision if I had understood the limitations of IPB's current system.

Yep.

Obviously, some people are managing to figure it out but I'm not and I can find very little (read: 'no') useful documentation. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Why emoticon system sucks:

* Manually delete all emoticons (You cannot "check" emoticons within a pack, you have to delete every single emoticon manually or delete the whole set)

* Emoticon option: Import into which emoticon group? ... cannot be set to "none" which means you are _forced_ to import to "default" (or any other group) when you want to create a new group.

* No option to add single emoticons to a set (you have to upload a whole new set).

* No option to remove the emoticon code from all posts when you delete an emoticon. (you should get a box where you can choose to delete the emoticon alone, or delete emoticon + emoticon codes in posts (using query update posts set post =

replace(post,':rolleyes:','');

(just a sample)

Merry Christmas!

• 2 months later...

I hope so too! The emoticon manager is one of the last bastions of IPB to be overhauled and modernized, whilst it was one of the most obvious parts of the program to have this attention for some reason its still ignored. The suspense until I see something about it in the IPS Company Blog is killing me! :ermm:

I was cross linking two (nearly) identical topics is all.

Overhauling the smiley manager is something on our todo list. I can't say when it will be done, just that it's something we want to do.

Come on Brandon! Now's your chance! Anything you can do would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I am also really hoping for an overhaul of the emoticons and can't believe there is no way to rearrange them in the ACP....or at the very least newest ones added are viewed first in the preview box, prior to selecting "show all".

But, I've spent $$$ on skins and won't be upgrading immediately....unless the person I buy skins from upgrades....and that probably won't happen very quickly. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From the 3.2.0 front end I'm looking at here, it looks like we got totally ignored yet again when it comes to emoticon management.

I know you never really said in concrete that you were going to do something to improve emoticon management, but I'm absolutely gutted to say the very least. I thought they were keeping news of this in the Company Blog to tease us, but it looks very much like they didn't nothing about it again. I know, wait until 3.3.0, right?

When are IPS going to stop basing so much of their improvements in Facebook like websites, and start looking at the core functionality of a message board again? You guys really need to go back to grassroots and get the core features right, listen to what you're customers are telling you. Then put the the cool frosting on afterwards!

Sorry for the rant, I'm just so disappointed in this wasted opportunity.

• Management

We wanted to overhaul emoticons but did not have time in 3.2. Every improvement in 3.2 was based on client-feedback. Just because we didn't implement your feedback doesn't mean we are somehow on the wrong track :)

Archived