IPB Upgrades Becoming Minor Annoyance

Rheddy

IPS Staff: I hate to say this but the IPS Upgrades are becoming a real inconvenient Annoyance.

What am I talking about? Everytime there is a service update to IPB (2.0.1, 3.0.2, etc) the upgrade creates havok with the hooks that I have installed. Not only do I have to disable the hooks, but, they have to be un-installed and then re-installed. The upgrades are not anticipating already installed hooks and adjusting for them and it's becoming an annoyance.

Does IPS plan on fixing this problem or is this going to be a regular 'romp and stomp' action with every upgrade/update? For one, I would love to see this corrected.

We have been looking into this issue, but as far as I am aware, nobody so far has been able to reliably reproduce it - if a board is only using hooks we've provided, it works fine (as proven by this forum).
In fact, from what I've seen, it is particular hooks that are causing the problem. We've just been unable to track down why. What hooks do you have installed?

I had the same issue.

IPB forums rely on 3rd party mods, hooks etc. It is no good to say its all OK when using IPB made hooks. That's a cop out I am afraid. Unless of course, you are going to recreate ALL the 3rd party hooks and offer them to us?

It is one thing offering the hooks feature and another when we find out its not exactly as advertised.

I don't see how asking for more information so we can work on a solution can be seen as a "cop out" by any stretch of the imagination ;)

Most hooks are working fine, there seems to be a select few that are causing the problem. Let us know what hooks you have installed (links to download them would be helpful) - that way we can install those same hooks on a test board and see if we get the same problem.

I had this issue twice . Once last night and another from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 . I asked for help by the support tickets and when they made the upgrade almost all the hooks and applications were providing errors . The first time I was able to solve the issue bunt now everything is out of order . I have to restore everything :( .

[quote name='TekMiL' date='07 September 2009 - 10:58 AM' timestamp='1252335504' post='1853602']
Yeah I had the problem with IM Global Forum Message and IM Custom forum blocks.

This has been discussed with Michael directly on his board.

This is no longer supposed to happen once 3.0.3 is installed due to a change put in when 3.0.3 was installed.

The issue is easily reproducible using the hooks mentioned that have this issue. The tracker ticket sunrisecc linked to above shows where this was reported as an issue with the 3.0.1 -> 3.0.2 upgrade. If the issue is with my hooks, I'll gladly fix them if I knew what the problem was.

EDIT: It only seems to affect hooks that add templates to skin_global, not other groups like skin_boards, as hooks like Group Name Indicator and Members Online Today are unaffected by this issue. This leads me to believe the problem is not with the hooks themselves, but with how skin_global is being handled by IP.Board.

[quote name='Μichael' date='07 September 2009 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1252342944' post='1853643']
The issue is easily reproducible using the hooks mentioned that have this issue. The tracker ticket sunrisecc linked to above shows where this was reported as an issue with the 3.0.1 -> 3.0.2 upgrade. If the issue is with my hooks, I'll gladly fix them if I knew what the problem was.

EDIT: It only seems to affect hooks that add templates to skin_global, not other groups like skin_boards, as hooks like Group Name Indicator and Members Online Today are unaffected by this issue. This leads me to believe the problem is not with the hooks themselves, but with how skin_global is being handled by IP.Board.

I wasn't aware that there was a (fixed) bug report. But there you go, problem solved :)

With IPB 3.0.3 Upgrade, IPS Staff identified the following Hooks:

(T30) Bump Up Topics
(DP30) Top Reputation
(T30) Show Reputation in Topic View
(IM) Users Awaiting Validation
(IM) Global Forum Message
(IM) Sliding Quick Login

I just think it's a sorry excuse to say you only support the IPB 3 upgrade errors associated with IPS Created Hooks. The fact is that IPB is supported by third party mods. One would think that this problem would have been dealt with by now. This makes the third time I have had to uninstall these hooks and reinstall them. IPB UPgrades are supposed to be trouble free and work with Skins and Hooks that are already installed.

I hate to say this, as I have enjoyed the forum software, but these excuses are vein and the lack of support in trying to fix this problem has yet to be corrected. You would think that these problems would have been fixed by now.

I'd say, after each upgrade, at least half of all 3rd party hooks have to be reinstalled. Maybe more....
It is annoying, because, usually I discover those not working hooks just by using the board every day, and it's pretty impossible to see ALL non-working hooks at once.

I'm not sure what the big deal is here, to be honest. There was a bug reported. It was investigated, the problem identified, the issue resolved in the next release following the report. That's normal procedure for bugs. Perhaps this bug is more annoying to you than other bugs, but in reality it's no different than any other bug that gets reported.

Archived