Suggestion: ACP option to disable IPB's automatic Link wrapping (showing more characters for the link)

OverDriveAdamJ

Please see
http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/287067-link-wraping/page__pid__1840069__st__0

As the internet slowly moves to longer URLs, with better descriptions of the content, truncating the link's text should be an option in ACP (either enable/disable, or enable and x amount of characters, with your default of ~35 characters). It's easier to see what content your link is going to if it's longer than the truncating number, especially if it's all from a domain with a long name, and multiple links from the same website's directory within the same post.

[quote name='OverDriveAdamJ' date='07 August 2009 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1249679424' post='1840175']
Please see
http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/287067-link-wraping/page__pid__1840069__st__0

As the internet slowly moves to longer URLs, with better descriptions of the content, truncating the link's text should be an option in ACP (either enable/disable, or enable and x amount of characters, with your default of ~35 characters). It's easier to see what content your link is going to if it's longer than the truncating number, especially if it's all from a domain with a long name, and multiple links from the same website's directory within the same post.

So then your topic should read "link truncating" not link "wrapping" :P

I like this suggestion.

Then it could add the numbers together along with 3 for a threshold point and then use those numbers for parsing.

Enable link truncating?		( )Yes ( )No

Number of characters to keep?	Left [__] and Right [__]

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='07 August 2009 - 02:16 PM' timestamp='1249679792' post='1840177']
So then your topic should read "link truncating" not link "wrapping" :P

I like this suggestion.

Then it could add the numbers together along with 3 for a threshold point and then use those numbers for parsing.

I used the word "wrap" on my original topic that was linked to, my screenshot demonstrates why. My bad.
And yes, this should be a setting. I dont see why it wouldnt be, really. :/

Enable link truncating?		( )Yes ( )No

Number of characters to keep?	Left [__] and Right [__]

If you like the suggestion, click the (+) on the OP.

[quote name='Fishfish0001' date='07 August 2009 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1249684243' post='1840225']
I fifth it.

(No I don't plead the fifth)

post-49404-124968513647_thumb.gif
With that as your avatar, maybe you should plead the fifth...

:P

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='07 August 2009 - 08:09 PM' timestamp='1249690145' post='1840300']
Yeah the feature was already there, just no setting was ever created for it. I noticed this when I was looking at the source to try to tinker with it.. :)

The setting is hardcoded (kinda like how I did it in that other topic) in the source for RSS exports.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='07 August 2009 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1249687884' post='1840274']
Download and import this file into your settings area.

The you can go to Settings > Forums > Topics, Posts and Polls
And under "Making a Post", you'll find "Disable URL truncating?". Enjoy!

You are a life saver.
The URL truncation broke my Soundcloud bbcode.
Now I should be able to get it to work again.

Also I hate truncation anyway.
Cheers again +1

This really should be a default option.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='07 August 2009 - 11:31 PM' timestamp='1249687884' post='1840274']

The you can go to Settings > Forums > Topics, Posts and Polls
And under "Making a Post", you'll find "Disable URL truncating?". Enjoy!

Il try this thanks

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='07 August 2009 - 06:31 PM' timestamp='1249687884' post='1840274']

Il try this thanks

To answer your question (before you changed your post)..

ACP, System, edit settings. Then at the bottom there is a section where you can import an XML file.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived