Introducing Spam Monitoring Service

tranceandy

I think what needs to be done is the lifetime/perpetual license holders should not have to give up their license to get this service. They should be able to retain their license while if they wish they can pay a $25/6 month fee on TOP of their current license without having to downgrade.

The fact is license holders are being forced out of their license for a service they want and would most likely pay for if they did not have to lose their current license status. Find a way to allow someone like me who has a perpetual license to KEEP my perpetual and still pay $25/6 months and things would be fine.

I also have a lifetime license. Does this mean that if I wanted to use this new spam service it is effectively null and void?

To be fair I really haven't read much on this so please excuse me if I am missing something.

Edit: Looks that way, just had a mini read through.

I agree with Wolfie, a (smaller) yearly payment would be the way forward.

I think a key point that needs to be stressed here is that this is not just a new feature of IP.Board like reputation, report center, hooks, etc. This is a new service being provided by IPS to compliment IP.Board. This service is not like a new feature, which requires a one-time investment of time by developers, but rather an ongoing addition requiring maintenance and upkeep of the database and server.

[quote name='Charles' date='22 July 2009 - 08:52 PM' timestamp='1248310328' post='1831206']
That would just be overhead. Besides, we plan on adding more services and don't want to get into setting prices for each one. It's easier to just say they're included.

[quote name='ssslippy' date='22 July 2009 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1248310890' post='1831208']
The fact is license holders are being forced out of their license for a service they want and would most likely pay for if they did not have to lose their current license status. Find a way to allow someone like me who has a perpetual license to KEEP my perpetual and still pay $25/6 months and things would be fine.

[quote name='Rοb' date='22 July 2009 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1248310930' post='1831209']
I agree with Wolfie, a (smaller) yearly payment would be the way forward.

[quote name='Charles' date='22 July 2009 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1248310933' post='1831210']
Well I suppose they could do that but that would be an odd choice.

If there are going to be more services added, then something like $20/year (or $25/year if it must be more than $20/year) as an add-on license would seem reasonable. It could offered and available for every non Standard IP.Board license that the person has (so if they have 2 Lifetime licenses, they'd purchase 2 of the add-on licenses).

Oh dear, remembers reading a particular post one day and now it may be coming back to bite some a**

Anyways, splended idea. But I still await other things to be completed/released/fixed before I go ahead with the 3 upgrade.

[quote name='Klisis' date='22 July 2009 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1248312877' post='1831222']
A might-be off topic question here, weren't those life time and perpetual licenses offered to convert to the current license type ?

Yeah but they you lose the benefits of the lifetime/perp licenses.

Lifetime = Forever an +Active Customer, support and downloads of the IP.Board.
Perpetual = Forever downloads of IP.Board, with $30/year for support/active status.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='23 July 2009 - 02:36 AM' timestamp='1248312967' post='1831224']
Yeah but they you lose the benefits of the lifetime/perp licenses.

Lifetime = Forever an +Active Customer, support and downloads of the IP.Board.
Perpetual = Forever downloads of IP.Board, with $30/year for support/active status.

I see.

This new feature is a "service" as the name states : Spam monitoring service. And a service like this involves a monthly cost. I would completely understand not providing this service to Lifetime license holders, but I feel that Perpetual license holders are in a gray zone.

Still, it's not like this service is essential.

Furthermore, we do not know how this new service is going to hold up against spammers.

[quote name='Klisis' date='22 July 2009 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1248313425' post='1831230']
Still, it's not like this service is essential.

Furthermore, we do not know how this new service is going to hold up against spammers.

I believe that instead of forcing Lifetime/Perp holders to switch, an extra option should be made available. Yes, be able to switch the license over if they so choose, but another option as well.

First of all this service is one that has been needed for a long time now. It would be even better if there could be an alternative server/service offered in case the IP server was down.

Secondly, to everyone who is complaining about owning a lifetime license. You have 3 options really.
Upgrade (for free) your current license to the officially recognized license which gets all of the newest features such as the Spam monitoring system, purchase a new license, or do with out it all together.
The Spam monitoring system is not required for your forum to live up to its full potential. IPS is adding on costs to their plate by offering this service & as such they deserve to be compensated by those who will use it.
My only concern is with this addition, will there be a price increase in the future for further renewals?

If there will be, then this service should be an optional service.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='22 July 2009 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1248313754' post='1831232']
I believe that instead of forcing Lifetime/Perp holders to switch, an extra option should be made available. Yes, be able to switch the license over if they so choose, but another option as well.

There is another option available, don't subscribe to the service. ;)

If I were a lifetime license holder, it would be a tough choice because converting would force me to spend a good amount of money per 6 months.

If I were a perpetual license holder though, I'd rather convert to the standard license rather than having to pay extra fee for this unproven service. I would assume that the old(er) license holders will continue to be left out, and I wouldn't blame IP for taking such actions. Things ... don't remain the same forever. You can either choose to go with the flow or resist it (or abandon IP products all together).

[quote name='Bain' date='22 July 2009 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1248313964' post='1831236']
Upgrade (for free) your current license

You mean downgrade. At least in my book.

As far as the service. Thanks, but no thanks. I plan on keeping my license. :)

[quote name='Bain' date='22 July 2009 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1248313964' post='1831236']
If there will be, then this service should be an optional service.

The prices remain the same for you based on the license terms you purchased the license with.

[quote name='Nimdock' date='22 July 2009 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1248314758' post='1831243']
You mean downgrade. At least in my book.

As far as the service. Thanks, but no thanks. I plan on keeping my license. :)

My feelings exactly. If the service happens to flop or not work quite as well as expected or happens to not be worth the downgrade, then do I have the option of switching back to Lifetime (in return for giving up the usage of the new service)? I seriously doubt it.

Just to make sure I'm not misunderstood on this. I'm not opposed to IPS making money and even can appreciate the offer for people to convert their licenses (for those that it would benefit). If anything, income for IPS is good because then it means the company will continue to grow, expand and produce newer IP.Board versions. I just feel that alternatives should be provided so that Lifetime/Perp owners aren't put into a 'squeeze'.

[quote name='ssslippy' date='22 July 2009 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1248310890' post='1831208']
I think what needs to be done is the lifetime/perpetual license holders should not have to give up their license to get this service. They should be able to retain their license while if they wish they can pay a $25/6 month fee on TOP of their current license without having to downgrade.

I'm with ssslippy on this. I think lifetime/perpetual license holders should have the option to pay for the service without giving up our lifetime licenses.

Myr

• Management

For the lack of a better example, think of it in mobile phone terms... you may have a formerly offered unlimited plan for $99/mo. A great deal and it may very well suit your needs perfectly, in which case, you'd naturally keep it indefinitely. It's unreasonable, however, to expect all of the enhancements, subsidized phone prices and other benefits, without renewing your contract and selecting a currently-offered package, so-to-speak. If you want to keep your $99/unlimited plan; fantastic - your service will be the same as it always has! Unfortunately, you can't have the benefit of the old, promotional plan AND the advantage of getting all of the enhancements, access to the newest phones, etc. It just doesn't work that way.

Sorry if you feel you're being forced out of your license -- that's certainly not the case. If you're like Nimdock and aren't interested in the enhancements and the license itself is more important to you, by all means, continue on - we encourage you to do so if it meets your needs. Unfortunately, we can't offer it both ways, folks.

• Management

Perpetual license holders currently pay $30 for 12 months access to support and downloads whereas standard license holders pay $25 every 6 months. For those perpetual license holders who wish to use the service then converting the license is probably cheaper than paying for the service independently (if we chose to do that). It's only an extra $20 a year or $1.67 a month.

Lifetime license holders continue to get support and downloads for free.

We have no desire to break apart the software and offer a tiered version to different license holders. There is no desire to withhold features from anyone and this is an important distinction as the new spam service is a service, not a feature. We're going to have to maintain several servers, pay for the bandwidth, run and maintain back-ups, deal with IP removal requests, etc, which all incurs cost.

Ultimately, it is not an essential service for some and no compunction to use it. It does show, however, that we are committed to tackling the spam issue that plagues many customers.

May I also add that the IP.Board 3.0.2 download zip will be the same for standard, perpetual and lifetime license holders. We're not removing code for anyone.

From where I'm standing, the outlay I made for the Lifetime/Perpetual license was a waste of money... because I'm still paying an annual support fee, and now I'm still excluded from ongoing developments...

So, I find myself wondering why I purchased that perpetual license in the first place... and wondering why I'm still paying the annual fee... because no matter how you word it, you're forcing me to give up my Perpetual license in order to continue benefiting from IPB developments.

As another Lifetime license holder, I'm disgusted with this decision but just about understand why you're going down the money grabbing route for any future new "services".

I suppose that it's a question of is spending extra money per year worth it in the time I'm spending catching spammers at the moment? And the answer to that one is no.

[quote name='Patrick Shaw' date='23 July 2009 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1248329063' post='1831325']
So, I find myself wondering why I purchased that perpetual license in the first place... and wondering why I'm still paying the annual fee... because no matter how you word it, you're forcing me to give up my Perpetual license in order to continue benefiting from IPB developments.

That is incorrect. Nobody is forcing you to give up your current license to continue using the license as originally intended. Services such as this was never part of the contractual obligation when you purchased a perpetual license.
You can continue using your license as always. Free upgrades for the life of your license.

From a business perspective it is wise for IPS to get as many Perpetual licenses nulled and upgraded for free into a standard license.

• Management

So, I find myself wondering why I purchased that perpetual license in the first place... and wondering why I'm still paying the annual fee... because no matter how you word it, you're forcing me to give up my Perpetual license in order to continue benefiting from IPB developments

You are getting precisely the level of service you paid for, so it is not a waste of money. You get the same download as everyone else and the same support as everyone else.

You are not excluded from ongoing developments within IP.Board. If we add a cool new feature within IP.Board then you'll get that too.

The spam service is an external service it is not a cool new feature within IP.Board. Any new services we roll out will be just that; a service - not a cool new feature in IP.Board. Arguably the spam service does not enhance your IP.Board in anyway. It just helps prevent spammers from signing up to your board and you just need an active current license, not an active legacy license.

[quote name='John Swallow' date='23 July 2009 - 07:08 AM' timestamp='1248329303' post='1831329']
As another Lifetime license holder, I'm disgusted with this decision but just about understand why you're going down the money grabbing route for any future new "services".

I suppose that it's a question of is spending extra money per year worth it in the time I'm spending catching spammers at the moment? And the answer to that one is no.

Then you can carry on with your current license just fine. :)

From where I'm standing, the outlay I made for the Lifetime/Perpetual license was a waste of money... because I'm still paying an annual support fee, and now I'm still excluded from ongoing developments...

As someone with a Standard license, this doesn't really concern me, but, I'm curious - is it possible for a lifetime license holder to pay the $25/6mo for a while to access this service, and then revert back to their lifetime license terms? Or is it only a one-way conversion?

Matt,

Why not implement it where this system is not ran off your servers but instead utilizes an already proven system such as akismet?
If it were done this way you would not have to rake up additional costs on yourself, plus all licensed customers could use the same benefits of the system.

Do you feel your new service would be as good or better than others that are already openly available?

Archived