Introducing Spam Monitoring Service

tranceandy

[quote name='IPS News' date='22 July 2009 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1248296851' post='1831035']
Pricing

To further our continuing efforts to not only enhance the products we offer but also the services around those products: this service will be offered at no additional charge to those with an active support and service license for IP.Board and for IPS hosting customers!

[quote name='IPS News' date='22 July 2009 - 05:08 PM' timestamp='1248296938' post='1831036']
Legacy Clients

As the Perpetual and Lifetime license terms were for technical support only: additional services outside of support, like the Spam Monitoring Service, will not be available to those clients holding Perpetual or Lifetime IP.Board licenses.

I don't like that. Yes I'm a little biased since I have a Lifetime license, but I think that the Lifetime license shouldn't be excluded because the terms of it are the same as a standard license except that it's "forever" instead of limited to 6 month windows.

With Perpetual, the license holder should be allowed to get it when they are in +Active status (ie, paid $30/year).

I know that IPS wants to convert those into standard licenses, but I think that's a bit shameful to try to reword or reclassify things just to do it.

• Management

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='22 July 2009 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1248297823' post='1831055']
I don't like that. Yes I'm a little biased since I have a Lifetime license, but I think that the Lifetime license shouldn't be excluded because the terms of it are the same as a standard license except that it's "forever" instead of limited to 6 month windows.

With Perpetual, the license holder should be allowed to get it when they are in +Active status (ie, paid $30/year).

I know that IPS wants to convert those into standard licenses, but I think that's a bit shameful to try to reword or reclassify things just to do it.

Services like this did not exist several years ago when those old licenses were available. That is why we switched to the Standard license type so we could offer more than just "technical support" like we did before.

We are not taking anything away from Perpetual or Lifetime license holders and are keeping our promises to them as they were made at purchase time.

[quote name='Putzу' date='22 July 2009 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1248297832' post='1831056']
Is there a possible view to integrate this with Converge in the future? I could see that also being a good idea

Yes we can certainly look into doing that too :)

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='22 July 2009 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1248297823' post='1831055']

I agree there, I twittered that as soon as I read the news. I agree that as long as they are +active they should have it. :/

(then again, im NOT a perpetual user anymore. so who am I to gripe)

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='22 July 2009 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1248297823' post='1831055']

You were promised lifetime support and upgrades and that promise has been kept.
This service is not support - it is new service that we never promised or announced or even mentioned before.
There are of course costs involved with maintaining this service and so it has been made available only to holders of a current, active license.
You are of course welcome to remain on the license you purchased, with the terms that were promised to you at the time, or pay for this new service :)

[quote name='Putzу' date='22 July 2009 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1248297832' post='1831056']
Is there a possible view to integrate this with Converge in the future? I could see that also being a good idea

Integrate how? :)

[quote name='Μark' date='22 July 2009 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1248298143' post='1831066']

I don't know what he was thinking by it, but what I would like to see if possible would be the ability to match spam registrations across all of the converge registrations.

[quote name='Charles' date='22 July 2009 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1248297994' post='1831063']
Services like this did not exist several years ago when those old licenses were available. That is why we switched to the Standard license type so we could offer more than just "technical support" like we did before.

We are not taking anything away from Perpetual or Lifetime license holders and are keeping our promises to them as they were made at purchase time.

[quote name='Μark' date='22 July 2009 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1248298143' post='1831066']
You were promised lifetime support and upgrades and that promise has been kept.
This service is not support - it is new service that we never promised or announced or even mentioned before.
There are of course costs involved with maintaining this service and so it has been made available only to holders of a current, active license.
You are of course welcome to remain on the license you purchased, with the terms that were promised to you at the time, or pay for this new service smile.gif

Don't see anything wrong with that at all. Seems very reasonable and understandable to me thumbsup.png

[quote name='Charles' date='22 July 2009 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1248297704' post='1831050']Keep in mind only admins/mods can report someone as spam and it takes more than just one or two manual reports to flag a user as a spam account.
Since in the announcement nothing is mentioned about that I'll it here: is there any way for us forum admins with an active license to ask for the removal of an address/IP from the spam list if a certain data is marked wrongly as spam?

I'm sure there is a way (maybe opening a ticket) but a fast way to report such things is needed when a lot of people will use this system after the release :)

[quote name='Putzу' date='22 July 2009 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1248297832' post='1831056']Is there a possible view to integrate this with Converge in the future? I could see that also being a good idea
A good idea indeed :thumbsup:

[quote name='Μark' date='22 July 2009 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1248298143' post='1831066']

Integrate the calls to IPS into the Converge registration.

If registration is not done through IPB or an Application itself, then surely registration through Converge, then logging into IPB will bypass the spam check?

I also think if it could also be added to non-IPS applications via Converge would be a good idea, but is that a bit out of scope?

• Management

[quote name='teraßyte' date='22 July 2009 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1248298287' post='1831070']
Since in the announcement nothing is mentioned about that I'll it here: is there any way for us forum admins with an active license to ask for the removal of an address/IP from the spam list if a certain data is marked wrongly as spam?

I'm sure there is a way (maybe opening a ticket) but a fast way to report such things is needed when a lot of people will use this system after the release :)

A good idea indeed :thumbsup:

Yes we will have support for things like that as it gets going :)

Will probably require that requests for removal are only from active customers who have been a customer for greater than X days. That way you don't get spammers stealing a credit card, buying an IPB, and requesting removal.

[quote name='Putzу' date='22 July 2009 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1248298346' post='1831071']Integrate the calls to IPS into the Converge registration.

If registration is not done through IPB or an Application itself, then surely registration through Converge, then logging into IPB will bypass the spam check?

I also think if it could also be added to non-IPS applications via Converge would be a good idea, but is that a bit out of scope?
Yeah, I already knew from this morning that something was going on since I checked the latest nightly build of IPB and if I remember correctly the check is done only when the account is registered so checking when an account is registered with Converge should be good enough :o

[quote name='Charles' date='22 July 2009 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1248298358' post='1831072']Yes we will have support for things like that as it gets going :)

Will probably require that requests for removal are only from active customers who have been a customer for greater than X days. That way you don't get spammers stealing a credit card, buying an IPB, and requesting removal.
Good, something like that should work fine :)

This is great news. I hope it becomes reliable enough that I will be able to disable Admin Validation down the road. That's the only sure-fire method I've found so far of keeping spammers off my board.

Looking forward to 3.0.2, which is likely the version I will use to upgrade my 2.3.6 forum. :)

..Al

[quote name='Putzу' date='22 July 2009 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1248298346' post='1831071']
Integrate the calls to IPS into the Converge registration.

Ah, I get what you mean.
Interesting idea :)

• Management

[quote name='AtariAge' date='22 July 2009 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1248298815' post='1831080']
This is great news. I hope it becomes reliable enough that I will be able to disable Admin Validation down the road. That's the only sure-fire method I've found so far of keeping spammers off my board.

Looking forward to 3.0.2, which is likely the version I will use to upgrade my 2.3.6 forum. :)

..Al

You can always enable it for now and leave it to normal approval and monitor the logs. We have been doing that here. We have it on but not "doing" anything just logging what it would have done so to speak.

[quote name='Charles' date='22 July 2009 - 04:43 PM' timestamp='1248299021' post='1831085']
You can always enable it for now and leave it to normal approval and monitor the logs. We have been doing that here. We have it on but not "doing" anything just logging what it would have done so to speak.

Yeah, will be very interesting to see how this plays out. :D This has great potential as long as many forum admins turn it on. I assume it will be off by default?

..Al

• Management

[quote name='AtariAge' date='22 July 2009 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1248299131' post='1831087']
Yeah, will be very interesting to see how this plays out. :D This has great potential as long as many forum admins turn it on. I assume it will be off by default?

..Al

Yes, to enable it you have to go in client area and get a special key. I really think lots of people will use it since it's included for free with the license service and, really, why not use it :)

[quote name='Charles' date='22 July 2009 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1248299199' post='1831088']
Yes, to enable it you have to go in client area and get a special key. I really think lots of people will use it since it's included for free with the license service and, really, why not use it :)

I wholeheartedly agree--the main thing will be educating admins so they are aware of the feature so they'll go and turn it on. :)

..Al

Archived