3.1 request. "Favorite Posts"

Wolfie

Sort of like you can friend someone or watch a topic, click on a post to mark it as a favorite. Then when you want to recall a post for some reason, you can look through your favorites. Mark it for any reason, helpful information, funny joke, interesting topic, etc.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although we have watching a topic, marking individual posts as a favourite would be good. However I hope this would be within the rep system as previously posted, so you can see posts you have rep'd biggrin.gif After all it must be a favourite post for you to give positive rep in the first place, unless you spam for positive rep tongue.gif

Although we have watching a topic, marking individual posts as a favourite would be good. However I hope this would be within the rep system as previously posted, so you can see posts you have rep'd

biggrin.gif

After all it must be a favourite post for you to give positive rep in the first place, unless you spam for positive rep

tongue.gif

Someone may + a post but not want to mark it as a favorite post. The favorite would be something like a bookmark, and if they want to, they could view all of their favorite posts and read only those posts, across multiple pages if necessary. I came up with the idea when I was thinking that it would be nice if we could somehow keep easy track of things people say ala quoting them (as some people do in their sigs). Even though about a thread of funny/favorite things people have said. But then I thought, hey, what if a user could 'tag' a post and then it's kept as their personal keepsake, ie, a favorite post or bookmark..

After looking at Wolfie's topic, I am thinking the iTunes's Genius. I.e. Some topics I may be also interested. (Based on my watched topic)

I'm confused by what you just said but I get the feeling I should be saying thank you. :)

I like the idea of adding a page to the User CP that shows all the posts that you have rep'd. Would be easy to filter that to show only positive reps, which would essentially be a list of favorite posts. Can't promise this will be added, but I do like the idea :)

I like the idea of adding a page to the User CP that shows all the posts that you have rep'd. Would be easy to filter that to show only positive reps, which would essentially be a list of favorite posts. Can't promise this will be added, but I do like the idea :)

Only showing positively repped posts doesn't mean that post was a favorite. I mean I'm not against the idea of showing posts that you have repped (good/bad/both), but the favorites should be separate. I might do +rep on 20 posts but only consider 1 or 2 of them to be worth tagging/marking as a favorite.

Also keep in mind that if a board doesn't have reputations enabled, how can someone have a list of favorites? Should be a completely separate feature from reputations.

Why not just use the existing functionality that people have used for the last 10 years for this sort of thing? Virtually every browser has a "favorites" feature already, and it's much easier to use than having to first visit the site, then go to your usercp, click the forums tab, click on "my favorite topics"....Just use your browser for this?

In general, I'm not a fan of duplicating functionality that your existing tools (i.e. your browser) can already do better, more efficiently, and in a manner more users will be accustomed to using.

Only showing positively repped posts doesn't mean that post was a favorite. I mean I'm not against the idea of showing posts that you have repped (good/bad/both), but the favorites should be separate. I might do +rep on 20 posts but only consider 1 or 2 of them to be worth tagging/marking as a favorite.

Also keep in mind that if a board doesn't have reputations enabled, how can someone have a list of favorites? Should be a completely separate feature from reputations.

Another thing to consider is that we already have two methods for 'marking', we have the subscriptions and we have the rep system, I'm not sure that we need a 3rd method. Personally, I think it would make a great mod, just not sure that it is actually needed in the base product.

Easier to share and not browser/location dependent. Not only that, but IPB could show a "search results" like list of the favorites where the member could see snippets (or entire posts?) instead of having to click each bookmark one at a time.

But mostly for the first two reasons. If I tag a dozen posts as favorites and then hop onto a different browser, I don't want to have to bookmark those same dozen.

There would be the benefit of a hook being made that could list posts as being popular due to being marked a favorite and not just repped. There are some sites where marking something as a favorite gets it popularity status -vs- positive ratings.

Another thing to consider is that we already have two methods for 'marking', we have the subscriptions and we have the rep system, I'm not sure that we need a 3rd method.

The subscriptions tracks topics, not individual posts and just repping a post doesn't mean wanting to be able to call on it later.

How many of your members actually use multiple browsers though and require their "favorites" to be remembered across browsers?

Seems like one of those things that just isn't valuable enough to bother spending the time on it for the base product myself.

How many of your members actually use multiple browsers though and require their "favorites" to be remembered across browsers?

Seems like one of those things that just isn't valuable enough to bother spending the time on it for the base product myself.

I'm just defending my idea. :) I still think it's a good one so hope you'll let it simmer on that back burner some.

Why not just use the existing functionality that people have used for the last 10 years for this sort of thing? Virtually every browser has a "favorites" feature already,

Is true what you say, in fact I have over 9000 favourite in my browser. most of them are 3D. But are mine and are not share with anybody. The idea of .wolfie is good one because give the possibility to share with others the most interesting thread. Nobody will ever care to see my favourite 3D but will be very interesting to read yours or Josh's :)

Easier to share and not browser/location dependent. Not only that, but IPB could show a "search results" like list of the favorites where the member could see snippets (or entire posts?) instead of having to click each bookmark one at a time.

But mostly for the first two reasons. If I tag a dozen posts as favorites and then hop onto a different browser, I don't want to have to bookmark those same dozen.

I have 3 browsers on my work computer, I also have a laptop and a phone - my bookmarks are synced across all 5. I think this is a pretty common thing for people ;)

Bummer, this seems like it would be a useful feature. I too synch my bookmarks across my various computers, but it would still be nice to have a place where we could bookmark favorite posts on that site somewhere. I would personally use it here as a place where I could link to the answers to common questions, so that I could quickly refer back to that list.

A way to bookmark internally would be a cool feature. Then a member can see their own bookmarks and members can see what each other like to bookmark. Subscription is sort of an email alert. A bookmark system would let a user interact and user older site content more. Would probalby be pretty involved to code it, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

A way to bookmark internally would be a cool feature. Then a member can see their own bookmarks and members can see what each other like to bookmark. Subscription is sort of an email alert. A bookmark system would let a user interact and user older site content more. Would probalby be pretty involved to code it, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

I would imagine that coding it shouldn't be too much of a hassle (aside from the actual coding and skinning that is).

Additional link on each post, [Save This] or [Favorite Post] or something. Then it gets added to a table (user ID#, time, post #, author ID#). Then when needed, it can do a count from the user ID to see how many favorites they have, to view just get the list of favorites for that member ID and then only need to bring up the post information from the post #. Could also be used to say how many posts someone has made has been made into favorites. Sort of like the rep system but wouldn't be a vote (+ or -) would only be something the member may want to reference again in the future.

Very useful if you see a few posts that you know you'll need to read later for some reason or if you want to mark them from a public computer.

Of course, each member should be allowed to decide who can see their bookmarks. Public, Friends, Private.

I think making it easy to tag a post as being a favorite (and removing it from your list) is a great idea. Making it public, private or friends only as well. Heck, even MySpace has a favorites option that you can make public or private. Amazon.Com even has it so you can save items for later viewing or making a wish list for others to view. Popular features too.

Also for those who want to be helpful, makes it easier to tag some posts to help, do some research and them come back to them and clear them off the list.

I would imagine that coding it shouldn't be too much of a hassle (aside from the actual coding and skinning that is).

Additional link on each post, [Save This] or [Favorite Post] or something. Then it gets added to a table (user ID#, time, post #, author ID#). Then when needed, it can do a count from the user ID to see how many favorites they have, to view just get the list of favorites for that member ID and then only need to bring up the post information from the post #. Could also be used to say how many posts someone has made has been made into favorites. Sort of like the rep system but wouldn't be a vote (+ or -) would only be something the member may want to reference again in the future.

Very useful if you see a few posts that you know you'll need to read later for some reason or if you want to mark them from a public computer.

Of course, each member should be allowed to decide who can see their bookmarks. Public, Friends, Private.

how about rather than a specfic bookmarks feature just add a wider and more general flag feature
that can be used/set up at the site owners choice
could then be used for almost anything
bookmarks, report posts, ratings, are obvious ones but sure varying forums could have more uses
rating feature is basically already a "flag" sort of system - so maybe it could be the base for a future expandable one ?

Why not just use the existing functionality that people have used for the last 10 years for this sort of thing? Virtually every browser has a "favorites" feature already, and it's much easier to use than having to first visit the site, then go to your usercp, click the forums tab, click on "my favorite topics"....Just use your browser for this?

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this, whenever I see a site with a "favourite" feature I always think "Doesn't my browser already do this?".

But I guess I can understand why some people might be interested in such a feature.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this, whenever I see a site with a "favourite" feature I always think "Doesn't my browser already do this?".

But I guess I can understand why some people might be interested in such a feature.

I dunno, we seem to be in the minority here from the sounds of the replies.

how about rather than a specfic bookmarks feature just add a wider and more general flag feature

that can be used/set up at the site owners choice

could then be used for almost anything

bookmarks, report posts, ratings, are obvious ones but sure varying forums could have more uses

rating feature is basically already a "flag" sort of system - so maybe it could be the base for a future expandable one ?

I was thinking about keeping it simple (like MySpace does). Are you talking about the Admin being able to create virtual "labels" so to speak, where someone could bookmark something, put it under a label (favorite, helpful, interesting, etc)? Or just be able to name the overall function?

If the one where there are different labels, then let it be in the members control:
ACP -> who can use it, how many labels they can have and how many (max) bookmarks they can have. Also if they can share the bookmarks or not.
UCP -> label names, which labels are public/private/friends only

I dunno, we seem to be in the minority here from the sounds of the replies.

:lol:

There are many popular sites that have some sort of bookmarking capability.. Not sure if I've seen board software do it (at least not without a mod), so it could be a new trend.. Let IPB be the leader of it. :D

Perhaps another perspective might interest you. Instead of using your browser to bookmark multiple posts on a board, just bookmark the board and then when at the board, you have access to your favorites(etc) on there. So instead of several (or dozens) of bookmarks per board in your browsers, you have one per board and then the site could be thought of as sub-marks. Already hard enough for most of our lazy butts to organize the bookmarks we already have, putting some of the work on a site (where it keeps track of its own bookmarks) would take some of the burden off.

That and as has been said, if someone happens to get on another computer (like at a library or at work) then they still have the bookmarks available. Not to mention the sharing concept. Could be a tab or a block in their profile, "My Bookmarks". Would have the topic name and who the post is by and even have it show if that member repped it or not (could bookmark without repping).. Why did they bookmark it? Click the link.. :D

Archived