Suggestion: Default some crucial members settings to ON

440net

Now that IPB is more and more "social network" oriented -even compatible with FB- it should be great if we could mimic some of the most usefull default behaviours of FaceBook, Myspace or Twitter.

IMHO, one little thing that contributed to these sites hughe success is the fact that when you register for the first time, all of the social network features and email notifications default to ON. Of course , if you dont like it, you can disable it, but for most users, theses features stay activated. As a result you receives a lot of email notifications driving you to come back again and again, until you often get totally addicted. :devil:

In IPB, we already have a lot of such features in member's settings: :rolleyes:
- "Notify me by e-mail when I get a new personal message"
- "Watch every topic I reply to" + "If enabled, ... notification type: Immediate Email Notification"
- "Enable Profile Comments" + "Comment Notification Type: Notify by email"
- "Show my friends in my profile" + "Friend Notification Type: Notify by email"
- similar features in IP.Blogs...

But sadly, most are disabled by default when a user register. To activate it, he would have (once registered and logedd-in) to walk thru all of the settings menu to activate a dozen switches. Guess what? Most of our members never do that, and they are not even aware that theses great features exist! Too Bad! :(

It would certainly be way better if all the features above could be ON by default, or better, if the admin would choose from the ACP, which of theses features should be ON by default or not. :whistle:

Doesn't it ring a bell to you?

[quote name='440net' date='11 July 2009 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1247302187' post='1824286']

But sadly, most are disabled by default when a user register. To activate it, he would have (once registered and logedd-in) to walk thru all of the settings menu to activate a dozen switches. Guess what? Most of our members never do that, and they are not even aware that theses great features exist! Too Bad! :(

EDIT: having rechecked in a IPB 3 test board:
Some (not all) of theses features are now enabled by defaut, which is absolutely GREAT, but unfortunately, theses changes won't appy to members who have have registered with previous IPB versions (in my case near 80000...).

It would be great it the dev team could provide us the list of SQL queries to run in order to enable these features for our older members...

• 3 months later...

[quote name='gizmo' date='06 November 2009 - 01:59 AM' timestamp='1257472752' post='1876153']
I tottally agree with the first users post:
A very important feature (The members CP) Is a little daunting to find and understand what's happening..

Now I'm going to look at what was suggested "Peer to Peer".

please let me know if you find it - looks useful

• 3 months later...

Instead of default options to on, how about a default profile (settings), where the admin can set it to toggle certain features to be on/off?

A board may want PM notifications on for members but friend notifications to be off for example. Being able to change the default applied to new members would be a much better option.

You have to alter the database to do this, and it comes up how often, once in the lifetime of your site? Twice, maybe, when you decide you want to change something back? I think just noting which queries are needed for these are fine. If you want to create a page that does all of these queries, it just opens up a can of worms with people wanting something similar which will change the default values of things like groups, forums, topics, etc.

[quote name='Michael' date='07 February 2010 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1265571652' post='1910442']
You have to alter the database to do this, and it comes up how often, once in the lifetime of your site? Twice, maybe, when you decide you want to change something back? I think just noting which queries are needed for these are fine. If you want to create a page that does all of these queries, it just opens up a can of worms with people wanting something similar which will change the default values of things like groups, forums, topics, etc.

It's a suggestion thread inside of a feedback forum. Was tossing out the suggestion. :)

When reading that article, the right side covers up some of the text. Also, would be nice to know what the other alternatives are for a couple of the optins. "flash" for the flash uploader, what's the other option? Also for the editor, "rte" vs what? Would the other option be 'std'? Just noting that can leave someone wondering what the other choices are. Just like there is the "email, pm or none" mentioned for a couple of the options.

[quote name='copiertalk' date='07 February 2010 - 03:40 PM' timestamp='1265575251' post='1910461']
What is the query for this one?

I took a crack at it, now awaiting someone to confirm that I am correct...

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/304190-change-default-value-for-watch-every-topic-i-reply-to/

Archived