Making IPB [really] multi-languages

440net

Hi,
When the 3.0 version was released, I had big hopes that IPB would fully support multiple languages.

Despite the great enhancements released : multi date/numbers support , no more texts in images, and language edition in ACP, there are still places in IPB that are one-language only.

Here are the texts that still cannot be translated for each languages:
- Help files
- custom fields titles & description
- members rank titles
- user groups titles

Do you plan to fix this soon?

Thank you

Thank you Vince and Brandon for replying.

I would be happy to help, making the required codes changes, and posting it to you, if you would include it in future IPB updates.

Just point me to the coding rules (if any) you would like me to follow, and who should i contact to sumit the code.
(I can even commit changes to a CVS or SVN Repository)

OK?

[quote name='ikillbill' date='10 July 2009 - 05:03 AM' timestamp='1247198584' post='1823719']
UTF-8 resolve all issues like this

I'm curious to understand how UTF-8 could resolve all issues like this ? :o

BTW, Brandon, Vince , I've already done the "Help files" modifications: :whistle: :P
- It integrates smartly in ACP,
- it supports up to 255 languages (or more if you want)
- it require only 3 files modifications, and one SQL update to add a lang column to the FAQ table

Are you interested to review or integrate this patch?
If yes where should I send it ?

[quote name='440net' date='10 July 2009 - 07:02 AM' timestamp='1247205725' post='1823759']
I'm curious to understand how UTF-8 could resolve all issues like this ? :o

BTW, Brandon, Vince , I've already done the "Help files" modifications: :whistle: :P
- It integrates smartly in ACP,
- it supports up to 255 languages (or more if you want)
- it require only 3 files modifications, and one SQL update to add a lang column to the FAQ table

Are you interested to review or integrate this patch?
If yes where should I send it ?

Nice to have a community that cares and is expert. :)

[quote name='440net' date='09 July 2009 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1247159477' post='1823426']
- Help files
- members rank titles
- user groups titles

There are also for Custom BBCode and Description ;)

[quote name='Axel Wers' date='10 July 2009 - 03:40 PM' timestamp='1247254840' post='1824013']
I am unable to translate months. I have translated them, but on board are still english titles.

You need to change your locale by editing the language pack. Month names in formatted dates are picked up from the locale.

[quote name='440net' date='09 July 2009 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1247159477' post='1823426']
Hi,
When the 3.0 version was released, I had big hopes that IPB would fully support multiple languages.

Despite the great enhancements released : multi date/numbers support , no more texts in images, and language edition in ACP, there are still places in IPB that are one-language only.

- Help files
- members rank titles
- user groups titles

Do you plan to fix this soon?

Thank you

The help files would be very difficult to make language selectable. The only real way to do this would be to catagorize each help article by language and for you to add the same articles for different trasnlations.

The rest of the things like custom field titles, rank titles, and user group titles: The report center had a solution for this by having run-time replacements. You could do something like {ipb.lang['LANG_KEY']} and it would replace this with the correct language bit. I'm sure that it's been removed in the IPB 3 version though. But a similar approach could be used. Something like {lang:member_group} using a simple strpos/stripos would be sufficient. Obviosly you'd see this in the ACP instead of the actual title (like you would see {lang:member_group} instead of "Members" for a group title).

[quote name='Luke' date='13 July 2009 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1247505589' post='1825571']
The help files would be very difficult to make language selectable. The only real way to do this would be to catagorize each help article by language and for you to add the same articles for different trasnlations.

I've already modified the code (finally only a few lines changes) to to that :blush: , and submitted it to Brandon for review and maybe inclusion in future IPB versions (would really be cool).

BTW , Brandon, did you had time to take a look?

[quote name='Luke' date='13 July 2009 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1247505589' post='1825571']
The rest of the things like custom field titles, rank titles, and user group titles: The report center had a solution for this by having run-time replacements. You could do something like {ipb.lang['LANG_KEY']} and it would replace this with the correct language bit. I'm sure that it's been removed in the IPB 3 version though. But a similar approach could be used. Something like {lang:member_group} using a simple strpos/stripos would be sufficient. Obviosly you'd see this in the ACP instead of the actual title (like you would see {lang:member_group} instead of "Members" for a group title).

Brillant idea. Thank you for pointing me to this. I will investigate... :cool:

I do hope IPB incorporates the fixes :).

By the way, I get the same error that Axel Wers at http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/287581-making-ipb-really-multi-languages/page__view__findpost__p__1824044 , but I'm already using the es_ES.UTF8 locale. It seems to affect forum titles only, though, the post content and titles are OK.

There is a probably-related issue: the translated registration page simply refuses to appear, and the page does not even show source code.

I'm afraid we're still with 3.0 so it may be a known bug I haven't found... any clues welcome.

Best regards,

Miguel

Archived