Feature Suggestion: Disabling post reputation for specific forums

TrekkiemonsterUK

I run a Colostomy support message board where patients help each other with support and advice of dealing with a colostomy, be it for a few weeks temporarily, of permanently due to cancer etc. My board also has a pretty large off topic posting community contained within it.

I would very much like to be able to disable post reputation in the off-topic forums, so that reputation is based on supportive posts to users needing support in our ostomy-support forums, rather than from posting cute pics of the dog with a toy in the off topic forums.

So, that's my suggestion for a future build of IP Board. It would really make my community better. I did ask in peer to peer if this was possible with current settings etc, and was told it was worthwhile posting a request in here. :)

Another possible feature, which would be useful in cases of the reputation system being abused is a setting that lets ONLY the Original Poster being able to vote as to which replies/posts have been useful to them.

Many thanks for reading this. I hope those ideas are useful to you. :)

Best wishes to all,

Jason Dale.
West Yorkshire, UK.

[quote name='TrekkiemonsterUK' date='09 July 2009 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1247144440' post='1823279']
I would very much like to be able to disable post reputation in the off-topic forums, so that reputation is based on supportive posts to users needing support in our ostomy-support forums, rather than from posting cute pics of the dog with a toy in the off topic forums.

Another possible feature, which would be useful in cases of the reputation system being abused is a setting that lets ONLY the Original Poster being able to vote as to which replies/posts have been useful to them.

Personally I like it the way it is as it enables other members who have found a post useful too.

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='09 July 2009 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1247186373' post='1823661']
In the P2P forum, Michael created a small skin edit (and conf_setting) to allow you to pick and choose which forums allow reputations. Could that be added to 3.0.1 (or 3.0.2)? :D

Ideally, a complete fix for this would include a PHP edit to the source code too, just to verify there's no funny business.

[quote name='Μichael' date='09 July 2009 - 08:45 PM' timestamp='1247186722' post='1823669']
Ideally, a complete fix for this would include a PHP edit to the source code too, just to verify there's no funny business.

A better fix would be to have it in the Forum tab along with all the other settings/permission masks. But that might just be me. Since you can select which groups are exempt via the System Settings, it also makes sense to have this in there too. So six of one and half dozen of the other.

Thank you everyone for your help with this - extra special thanks go to Michael and .Wolfie whom have been helping me lots in a P2P forum enquiry about this very subject. Its nice to see my suggestion is helpful to other people too. :)

As you've probably seen, I'm a noobie here, and I never expected such wonderful helpful replies when I made my enquiries. With such a helpful community I am very pleased I made the investment in buying IPB. So, thank you again folks, have a great weekend!

Jason D.
aka trekkiemonsteruk
www.ostomyland.com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived