New PM -messenger

INTK Admin

I see that new private conversation - messenger system does not allow to archive the messages via email anymore. Why this feature it's been disabled? :blink:

In second, how can I increase the max quota of message stored in the private message inbox? :(

First question, have no clue.
Second question, Go to admin, Members tab, Member Groups > Manage User Groups, select the user group you want to edit the max quota. Then select the global tab there and edit Max number of storable messages?.

[quote name='YamaArashi' date='08 July 2009 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1247068792' post='1822498']
I see that new private conversation - messenger system does not allow to archive the messages via email anymore. Why this feature it's been disabled? blink.gif

[quote name='Andy D' date='08 July 2009 - 02:06 PM' timestamp='1247079966' post='1822695']
Hopefully it will come back if it is possible as some people like to keep their messages when their all full up wink.gif

I'd like to see this as well, as many of my members use the Archive feature on my 2.3 forum. I even increased the size of the generated archives quite a bit, since they were arbitrarily small by default.

..Al

XML and HTML would rock. TXT also? Each conversation could be separated by a noticeable header that would say who all was in the conversation and the title of it. Then only need to have date/time and who for each actual post. (At least I think that would make it simple to read through).

But definitely XML and HTML.

I think XML/HTML would make a lot of sense, then the average non-technical minded members could open that inside their Office Word/Excel program or browser to view their messages, right?

I know I've suggested this before as a "Download topic" idea and people said it would be too resource intensive, but PDF would be the obvious choice to me.

So many people have the reader installed, you can get open source php pdf libraries to create pdfs from the server (if installed). How often do people archive their PM's anyway (not often I bet), and as you could set a "Export as pdf limit" to say 2 times a day max per user, I don't think resouces would be an issue for such an obvious choice of format. Portable document format - makes sense to me but what to I know? :rolleyes:

I think a raw format like HTML and/or XML would be good, but I also like the idea of a PDF file. I think PDF files will be more friendly to most end users, although being able to view an HTML document in a web browser would also be fine. But like Matt said, it is made more complex by the fact that you have conversations now and not just individual messages. Would be great if, say, an index of all the archive conversations could be made at the top of hte file (which looks like your inbox) and then when you click on one of the conversations, it would jump down to that section in the document (which could easily be done with HTML and PDF files).

..Al

Thank you very much for the hint! I was thinking it can be a global setting and not a per user or per usergroup setting. Thanks Immortal.

I'm also happy for being sustained in my proposal. a html page (maybe gzipped?) can be ok to be archived in a good webmail or computer mail client.

Thankyouall! :thumbsup:

[quote name='Matt' date='09 July 2009 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1247126244' post='1823177']
What formats would you like them archived as? I think that only XML or HTML is possible at this stage. It's slightly more involved now that they are conversations, though.

Could you also make it so you download them directly rather than having it send you an email? The whole sending an email with an attachment thing always seemed like a stupid waste of time to me...

[quote name='.Wolfie' date='09 July 2009 - 09:01 AM' timestamp='1247126486' post='1823178']
XML and HTML would rock. TXT also? Each conversation could be separated by a noticeable header that would say who all was in the conversation and the title of it. Then only need to have date/time and who for each actual post. (At least I think that would make it simple to read through).

But definitely XML and HTML.

+1 for .txt

The real trick comes in with it not just being PM's to or from other people, it's now to/from inside of a conversation. I have one thought that could work but it would either involve multiple files or involve one file that may be incompatible for some people. But could always be offered as an option for those who want it.

The idea is a bit advanced so *IF* it were to get done, I doubt it'd happen before 3.1, unless it's done as a hook (which I guess could work?).. Export the conversations individually into html files, with a master html file, so you would have a 'webpage' of conversations to read. Would need to include image files and such, then all of it get zipped up to keep it all inside of one file.

Other method would be basically the same except having each conversation being a self contained file (mht for example) and a root page, with all being inside of a zipfile. Fewer files but not everyone would be able to make use of them.

Until then though, XML, TXT, etc would have to work. HTML would probably have to be one massively huge page with all Convo's/PM's on the same page and no images at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"The real trick comes in with it not just being PM's to or from other people, it's now to/from inside of a conversation."

I honestly can't see the problem with this unless I'm missing the obvious (known to happen!). To my mind, the same logic that pulls the messages together to form the conversation on your screen/browser could be used to populate a PDF file of the conversation, or other format for that matter.

On a busy board, you could have the option to limit the user to downloading x amount of single conversations in PDF format per day instead of the entire Inbox of conversations at once, but I don't think that many people archive their PM's that often for it to be a problem.

I run another forum software at the moment before converting that to IPB.

That also has PM conversations - it is just a simple case of ticking the required PM's and clicking email.

A HTML email is then sent out with the conversation as it appears on the screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for letting me know i wasn't going crazy. I looked all over that ACP for the mysterious setting to turn it back on! My users started complaining about full mailboxes, and I've got one myself. I'd rather archive it than sort it or delete it. If someone does a hook or a mod for it, I'll gladly chip in the kitty.
Johanna

• 6 months later...

[quote name='AtariAge' date='23 March 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1269396450' post='1930754']
That mod is fine for a single conversation, but if you have hundreds of conversations in your inbox it's not terribly useful. There needs to be a way to export all your conversations so you can download them together.

..Al

:thumbsup:

Archived