IPB 3.1.0 features

Axel Wers

[quote name='Josh' date='28 June 2009 - 10:55 AM' timestamp='1246200904' post='1816087']
There's a lot of great suggestions in this topic, keep em coming :)

Oh you foolish boy, you don't know how wordy I can be. ;)

I'll try to keep this short though.

ACP/Skin editor, make the left menu panel collapsible (like on the board index, the items on the right). Also, make the template names a fixed width to make it appear neater, but also can be minimized.

More ideas to come...

Edit: more...

Time controls when posting. By this I mean start and stop times to post a new topic/post or have a topic pinned. When telling when to make a post, the start time would be when to post it, the end time would be a "delete" time.

Also, if a "bump" feature is included, automatic bumping (once every 24 hours after the topic has been bumped or had a post made to it), with a limit on how long it can be bumped after the last post inside the thread. Say 3 days as a default (for a particular forum), someone makes a topic and someone with bump powers enables autobumping, then for 3 days after the last post in that topic, the topic will get bumped every 24 hours.

Edit: Even more...

Be able to backtrack where you got +'s and -'s from (on posts).

Fixed "read" markers. Also, when a subforum of a subforum has a new post, have the green indicator thing of a bob turn on, so people know where to look. The main forum folder is sometimes lit (new posts) but none of the shown subforums are green, so you don't know if it's giving a false indication or not until you click that forum and then see the sub-subforums and see green indicators (unless it's another level deep, then you have to hunt for it).

Be able to have age/gender based criteria. With this, if someone sets their age or gender on the board, then they can choose to have that information hidden but can NOT change information itself. So an "Adults only" forum could be made or some other restriction and someone couldn't change their information to gain access to it.

If someone is a global moderator or is assigned as a moderator for a forum, then they are only affected by permission masks (ie, not age nor gender).

Be able to assign someone (or a group) as a forum owner. Forum owners as given special permissions as the can recruit people to be moderators of that forum (and only that forum). To keep it simple, the difference between owners and moderators is that owners can promote/demote people for that forum. They cannot create their own forum or subforums, that has to be done by someone with ACP access.

(Still more to come!)

[quote name='bobage24' date='27 June 2009 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1246132955' post='1815732']
Warning/Reports system:

I would like to see the report center include reports of those who have been warned and by who. And how about adding in the posts waiting for moderator approval in the report center too?

Only Luke can do that, since he made the addon.

[quote name='Sk8er Boi' date='28 June 2009 - 05:37 PM' timestamp='1246225049' post='1816364']
[quote name='bobage24' date='27 June 2009 - 04:02 PM' timestamp='1246132955' post='1815732']
Warning/Reports system:

And how about adding in the posts waiting for moderator approval in the report center too?

This reminds me. You can view only topics needing approval and topics with posts needing approval (and only the posts needing approval within a topic). What about the flipside? Being able to view a topic as though you don't have the authority to view/approve hidden posts?

Also, Brandon D is working on this project. Not a feature request, but would be nice if people gave it some support (kudos, encouragement, etc):

Forms System 1.0.0
It's basically a Form creator for IPB3. Create feedback forms, surveys, applications, support, etc etc etc. He only announced plans for it a few days ago, but I've noticed a few people wanting something like it and not having seen his announcement yet.

[quote name='Sk8er Boi' date='28 June 2009 - 05:37 PM' timestamp='1246225049' post='1816364']

Wrong. Luke gave IPS permission to include it in IPB, thus IPS can do as it wishes. It isn't an addon anymore.

how about an automatic updater. Like cPanel.

The software updates itself once a day and installs anything in the update source, like cvs update or something along the lines. So instead of me upgrading every build, it can do it automatically in the background, and save users pain.

[quote name='ets' date='28 June 2009 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1246244190' post='1816495']
how about an automatic updater. Like cPanel.

The software updates itself once a day and installs anything in the update source, like cvs update or something along the lines. So instead of me upgrading every build, it can do it automatically in the background, and save users pain.

I'd like that if the following happened as part of it..

[*]Notify me when an update is available and, if set to download, if it's ready to be installed yet. [*]Ability to check which version of a file is already on the board (if I have a newer version than whats in an update, then that file will be skipped) [*]Allow me to choose when it will do an automatic install of updates and what to do during the process...

[*]Optionally download updates as they become available.

[*]Perform automatic check of the database. If any errors are found, abort automatic process and notify me. [*]Backup database and board files (can be set to only backup files that will be affected or all files). [*]Take board offline. [*]Perform the backup. If any errors detected, restore to pre-update status and abort update process (return board to online status). [*]Run check on database. Repair if needed. Optimize. [*]Put board back online. [*]Notify admin of update and include a link to a logfile in a predetermined log folder (.htaccess protected) which would include various details of the update process.
[*]Notify me if any of the updated files include any files that I've modified. If I edit one of the primary files to put in a mod, then I'd want to know that a file that will be updated has been modified from the original.
[*]If the update is labeled as critical/severe, an option to install anyway, despite other settings.
[*]Tell me what the updates will actually do along with any known issues with installing the update (such as, if it's known to upset/break/disrupt any known mods).

The part about keeping newer revisions of a file may confuse some so I'll explain. If it's set to wait for an admin to activate an update, but critical updates are automatically installed, then if a critical update includes a file that's newer than a pending update contains, then obviously you want to retain the newer version of the file.

This idea might actually be better as an add-on application that's only available to admins with access to certain ACP areas. But such a function/module would certainly slurp in a number of new Admins from other software brands, if this were to be developed and maintained.

:)

[*]When: Which day(s) of the week, what time(s) of each day, or only notify me when it's ready but wait for me to do the update.

[quote name='Jamer' date='28 June 2009 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1246181671' post='1815983']
Also a few ideas;

Bump feature - to be able to bump topics, group permissions obviously.

Glance feature or Top 5 stats, this would be in the form of a box across the top of the main forum index page show the latest topics and replies

There is a modification hook in the resources center for this feature.

I just thought of this while using the demo, this would (or could) work in a similar manner to how the multi-quote work(s) {or supposed} except for moderation in a topic --- possible in a forum as well.

Basically a moderator can select one post (with a button next to the reply, multi-quote & others) than another post some ways down gets selected and every post (in) between the two selected without having to go post by post. This could also work the same for topics as well.

What I want to see in 3.1.

[*]Option for users to ignore/hide threads based on tags. [*]Option to make it so that when moderators ban a user the user's group is changed to the banned group. it is so annoying having to log into the admin CP and change a member's group manually. And it makes it extremely hard to make a system where banned members can view an appeal forum, because if they're banned by a moderator then there's no way to give them access to an appeals forum until the admin changes their group. [*]No more hard coded special permissions for super moderators. I don't want my mods (or admins for that matter) mass deleting posts, but if I have super mods they're automatically allowed to mass delete and there's no way to set it so they can't. This seems so stupid when you realize that you have pretty much complete control over admin permissions yet all these super mod permissions can't be changed at all...

[*]Thread Tagging

[quote name='Kotonoha' date='29 June 2009 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1246268083' post='1816614']
What I want to see in 3.1.

[*]Option for users to ignore/hide threads based on tags. [*]Option to make it so that when moderators ban a user the user's group is changed to the banned group. it is so annoying having to log into the admin CP and change a member's group manually. And it makes it extremely hard to make a system where banned members can view an appeal forum, because if they're banned by a moderator then there's no way to give them access to an appeals forum until the admin changes their group. [*]No more hard coded special permissions for super moderators. I don't want my mods (or admins for that matter) mass deleting posts, but if I have super mods they're automatically allowed to mass delete and there's no way to set it so they can't. This seems so stupid when you realize that you have pretty much complete control over admin permissions yet all these super mod permissions can't be changed at all...

+1. Or make it so the banned group can post to one forum that you specially selected.

[*]Thread Tagging

[quote name='David Diaz' date='29 June 2009 - 05:54 AM' timestamp='1246269281' post='1816620']
+1. Or make it so the banned group can post to one forum that you specially selected.

She mentioned that. :thumbsup:

[quote name='Kotonoha' date='29 June 2009 - 05:34 AM' timestamp='1246268083' post='1816614']

[*]Option to make it so that when moderators ban a user the user's group is changed to the banned group. it is so annoying having to log into the admin CP and change a member's group manually. And it makes it extremely hard to make a system where banned members can view an appeal forum, because if they're banned by a moderator then there's no way to give them access to an appeals forum until the admin changes their group.

Here's one that I'm sure will get some +'s

Reverifying account information, namely, email addresses. Over time, some members may switch to a new email account and forget to update their account information to reflect this. So with that in mind, a few ACP settings.

Tools & Settings/Security
Enable account email re-verification? Yes/No
How long after notification before member loses access? [__] immediately/minutes/hours/days

Then, per member group
How often to re-verify email address? [__] days (0 to disable for that group)

When the member visits again, they get sent to a special page that tells them that for security purposes, they need to verify their information. They can be given the choice to do it right then or to continue without it at that point (unless the time limit is set to immediate). After the notice and the specified time period, any visits to the board will require that they verify their email address. What this would mean is that they would be shown the currently used email address, with the ability to change it. If they put in a different email address, then they need to enter it again (to make sure it's correct). After that, they press a button to verify and then click a link in the email they get. The email simply tells the board to reset their account (ie, account was last verified at date/time).

This would help keep email addresses current and in doing so, could reduce the risk of an email address being dropped, but then someone else making the same email address (like on sites where email addresses can drop and someone else can register the same email address). Because then all that new person has to do, if they know an account with that email exists, is do a password reset and then they can gain access to an established account.

Not only that but if you need to contact a member for any reason, it helps to know that you have a valid email address to reach them at. Also, if someone sends them a PM or if they are watching forums/topics/etc, when notifications are sent out, less chances of something bouncing.

This would be different from putting an account into "awaiting validation" mode, as it would be specially flagged to either give them a warning of impending doom (ie, account will become disabled) and once disabled, the account would be unusable until re-verified. This should also disable any other emails sent to the member (the aforementioned PM's and watched forums/topics notifications). That way if an account does end up with an invalidated email address, there won't be bouncing emails.

One other thought on this. If the email address IS changed during the re-verification process, an email should be sent to the old email address, giving notice of the change. The drawback is that if the account is closed/etc, it will bounce. But if someone is changing it without authorization, then the original account holder would be alerted to the action.

Also, changes during the re-verification process should be logged. Account name, old email address, new email address, IP used (as well as browser and OS type). For an admin that knows the member being affected, if they say it wasn't them and they see strange information (I know for a fact that they'd never us Windows! gasp! for example), then they can easily restore the account.

:D

1. Email notification when PM Inbox hits a threshold.
2. "Vacation" messages, like what email systems use.
3. Show list of members subscribed to a topic and allow admins to unsubscribe them. I don't undertand why there is an option to unsubscribe all but not this.

"edit log" for Admins eyes only

Not a detailed log, just a simple "last edited by" log, with the date/time of the edit as well as who did it and the IP address of the edit. This would be viewable by the Admins only (maybe global moderators?) and couldn't be hidden in any way. It could be kept out of view with a drop down (menu like) where the Admin could view the history of edits. So if a member makes an edit to a post, the admin will know it, even if no one else does.

Not a detailed log though, as in, not telling what changes were made, only that an edit took place. For a detailed edit log, that should be something separate (there are requests for that). However, any 'edit reasons' should be kept in the history as well.

Archived