IPB 3.1.0 features

Axel Wers

[quote name='The Geek' date='08 January 2010 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='1262992323' post='1897090']
tbh, the only place I have found my watched topics is on the forumdisplay page.

Click My Settings, then click the Forums tab. "Manage Watched Topics" and "Manage Watched Forums"

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums&area=topicsubs
http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=forums&area=forumsubs

[quote name='The Geek' date='08 January 2010 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='1262992323' post='1897090']
Doesn't work in IE8 for me. Enter a bunch of lines, highlight them and click one of the list options. I get a <li> under my selection

Ah, I use FF usually. I'd submit that as a bug report in that case.

[quote name='bfarber' date='09 January 2010 - 12:25 AM' timestamp='1262996750' post='1897099']
Click My Settings, then click the Forums tab. "Manage Watched Topics" and "Manage Watched Forums"

http://community.inv...&area=topicsubs
http://community.inv...&area=forumsubs

Ah, I use FF usually. I'd submit that as a bug report in that case.

Thanks for the Brandon. Think I'll add it as a link to the users drop down list to make it easier to navigate to. I don't want to deviate from the topic, but it would also be nice for the list to default to only show those with new entries.

I do like the way its broken down by forum. What about if you are watching a blog or comments?

[quote name='Kfir' date='09 January 2010 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1263046227' post='1897250']
Allow displaying the profile picture in topic vie (a replacement of the avatar).

I like this idea. Avatars are the visual representation of the user. I find it inconsistent to sometimes see an avatar and sometimes see a picture.

[quote name='Kfir' date='09 January 2010 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1263046227' post='1897250']
Allow displaying the profile picture in topic view (a replacement of the avatar).

Problem with that is in the fact that users have less control over photos in some ways. You can't use remote images as photos, you can set gallery images as avatars but not photos, etc.

They really need to make it so you have the same options for both avatars and photos and then allow the admin to easily place/replace them where they want by placing/editing just a little bit of code.

EDIT: And they need to make it so they can all be replaced easily with a simple search and replace.

Report Center: I've asked for this more than once, but I'm going to keep pushing for a more useful Report Center. For starters, make it function more like the tracker, where updating the status is a new post, you can comment when you make a status update, etc. Also, as someone else mentioned, perhaps more inline moderation functions accessible from the Report Center rather than having to navigate to the reported content/user.

[quote name='The Geek' date='09 January 2010 - 09:26 AM' timestamp='1263047200' post='1897256']
Thanks for the Brandon. Think I'll add it as a link to the users drop down list to make it easier to navigate to. I don't want to deviate from the topic, but it would also be nice for the list to default to only show those with new entries.

I do like the way its broken down by forum. What about if you are watching a blog or comments?

Click the blog tab once in My Settings to see Blog and Entry tracker pages.

Would be nice to have a notification in the list of apps as to when a newer version is available.

Currently mine says 'up to date', when I know it is not - problem is one has to go through several downloads on the IPS site to see which need to be updated (if any)

My main suggestions are:

- more control on the sidebar -> easy adding of custom new blocks
ability to add html and php to new blocks
ability to easily add block feeds as in ip.content;
for ex. -> latest posts from x forum, latest downloads / images / ip.content articles, most popular topics / articles / images / downloads etc.; RSS from other sites; Random images / topics / articles / downloads, image/topic/download/article of the day etc
blocks to show not only on the home forum page but on subforums as well and possibly on topics view
blocks permissions -> which block to show in which forum/subforum for which groups
ability to control sidebar width

- tags for topics allowing similar topics to show + tag cloud to show on forum home page as a block
possibly integration with the tags system of ip.blog, ip.content, ip.downloads
Show not only similar topics but also similar blog post, ip.content articles, ip.gallery images, ip.downloads

- integrated google sitemap not only for ipb but for all ip applications

Additional suggestions are:

- google ads integration -> ability to put google ads in different places (header, sidebar block, within first post, below the first post, footer etc.) with permission system per group/forum

- when I write a post and midtime someone posts in the same topic, I must be notified

- contact us page with varoius options

- force some members to re-confirm/remind the board rules; if they do not reconfirm, they get banned

I know that for some of the above there are 3rd party solutions already but it would be nice if these are integrated as native options.

As always keep up the good work!

I have to requests

1- Please do make the admin CP link opens in new page .. i had to write a tutorial onmy site for my members because everyone ask how its done .. so i think having it like how it used to be in 2.3 would be alot better

2- This one is for Rikki please move the whole /* White links */ at the top of ur css so it would be overridden by the class it self if we wanted to change it
Like for example
the primary_nav active a and active hover cant have another color than #fff unless we remove them from the /* White links */ css

so please if u wanna save ur self the hassle of having to write the #fff in each class and wanna save size then have it as is now but just move it at top of ur css so people can easily override it

[quote name='Sacred' date='17 January 2010 - 01:05 AM' timestamp='1263683102' post='1900061']
I have to requests

1- Please do make the admin CP link opens in new page .. i had to write a tutorial onmy site for my members because everyone ask how its done .. so i think having it like how it used to be in 2.3 would be alot better

2- This one is for Rikki please move the whole /* White links */ at the top of ur css so it would be overridden by the class it self if we wanted to change it
Like for example
the primary_nav active a and active hover cant have another color than #fff unless we remove them from the /* White links */ css

so please if u wanna save ur self the hassle of having to write the #fff in each class and wanna save size then have it as is now but just move it at top of ur css so people can easily override it

1. That's probably suggested a million times before, with the same answer; "No"

2. Sure you can't override that by adding "!important" to the CSS declaration?

[quote name='Sacred' date='16 January 2010 - 11:05 PM' timestamp='1263683102' post='1900061']

Yep, opening in a new tab/window is a user choice not one for us to make for them.

[quote name='estan' date='16 January 2010 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1263635354' post='1899816']- google ads integration -> ability to put google ads in different places (header, sidebar block, within first post, below the first post, footer etc.) with permission system per group/forum

[quote name='m4rtin' date='17 January 2010 - 01:42 AM' timestamp='1263685340' post='1900065']
1. That's probably suggested a million times before, with the same answer; "No"

Not everyone is good with CSS and i bet 98% of IPS users doesnt even know what is !IMPORTANT
so basically regular customer wont be able to do it
and IMO if rikki moved his codes to top of css would be easier for ppl dont you think?

The answer is always "No" ?? why is this? if its requested but most people then why not do it?

[quote name='AndyMillne' date='17 January 2010 - 02:02 AM' timestamp='1263686566' post='1900068']
Yep, opening in a new tab/window is a user choice not one for us to make for them.

Sorry what do you mean? i didnt quite understand you

[quote name='m4rtin' date='16 January 2010 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1263685340' post='1900065']

I believe !important doesn't work with IE6. Even though a few percentage of people still use IE >_<. But, as someone posted it's really not good practice to always utilize the !important when you can just clean up the code by removing the conflicting code.

[quote name='Sacred' date='17 January 2010 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1263690921' post='1900081']
Sorry what do you mean? i didnt quite understand you

He means it's not your decision whether links open in a new window or not. It's the user's decision. The W3C seems to agree with this, since XHTML 1.0 and higher have explicitly removed pretty much any way of forcing a link to open in a new window. Since IPS likes IPB to validate against the HTML and CSS spec, they don't really like the "open in new window" thing. That said, there is a feature to enable links to open in a new window which uses a piece of javascript hackery, but personally I refuse to use any site that turns it on.

Of course, on a complete tangent, I'm not sure whether he misunderstood you - I notice you said something about ACP links. Do you mean the "login to ACP" link in the black mod/admin bar at the top of the screen? I'm going to say I prefer it as is. If I click it, it's because I wanted to visit the ACP to the exclusion of the board. If I middle click it, then I wanted it in a new tab. If I control click it, I wanted it in a new window. If they set it to open in a new window, it actually removes options from the user/admin as they can no longer opt to open it in the current window. So that's a big "-1" from me to that suggestion.

[quote name='Mat (FDNZ)' date='17 January 2010 - 06:03 AM' timestamp='1263700985' post='1900119']
He means it's not your decision whether links open in a new window or not. It's the user's decision. The W3C seems to agree with this, since XHTML 1.0 and higher have explicitly removed pretty much any way of forcing a link to open in a new window. Since IPS likes IPB to validate against the HTML and CSS spec, they don't really like the "open in new window" thing. That said, there is a feature to enable links to open in a new window which uses a piece of javascript hackery, but personally I refuse to use any site that turns it on.

Of course, on a complete tangent, I'm not sure whether he misunderstood you - I notice you said something about ACP links. Do you mean the "login to ACP" link in the black mod/admin bar at the top of the screen? I'm going to say I prefer it as is. If I click it, it's because I wanted to visit the ACP to the exclusion of the board. If I middle click it, then I wanted it in a new tab. If I control click it, I wanted it in a new window. If they set it to open in a new window, it actually removes options from the user/admin as they can no longer opt to open it in the current window. So that's a big "-1" from me to that suggestion.

Ah thanks for explaining
But all what you have said didnt really make any sense me, to be honest I don't care about what W3C agrees on, and I dont rly care about XHTML validation. all I need is click the link and have the acp opened in new tab
CTRL+ Click or middle Click or .. or .. or ... that doesnt really make my life easier and obviously doest make lots of people lives easier as well. i have LOTS of people asking me how to open acp in new tab and around 3 ipb modders have written tutorials on their sites to explain it which means its something People want!
and now that's what i care about not some XHTML validation stuff

also if you talk technically acp links wont be seen by XHTML validators as its hidden by an if statement unless you allow guests to use ur ACP lol!!

so again what you said is a really very weak point of view

Oh and about the User's decision thing... Since its an ACP links so only My self andmy admins will use it .... so if they dont like the "Open in New Window" they can leave and never come to my site again lol!
Which I'm pretty sure it wont happen, as they will never even care to complain about it!.

Anyways if IPS added it to IPB that would be good if not i can always use my hook that opens it in new tab

Again, do not want. It's an ACP link. It's not just yourself and your admins that use it, it's every IP.Board admin in the world. And no, we don't want yet another setting for whether the ACP link should open in a new window or the current one - it's hard enough finding anything now amongst the thousands of settings. Use your hook.

[quote name='TWF' date='17 January 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1263687348' post='1900071']
I'd love to see "ad blocks" that can be switched on and off, but rather, I'd like to be able to choose my own ad code (eg, other than Google). I think this is the one feature missing from IPB that a lot of people would use out the box. Sure, sure, IPB is designed to look pretty, but a lot of forums have ads and they often don't "fit" into the board. IPB by default can handle one or two banner ads at the top and bottom, but smaller ads elsewhere...it takes some work to move things around to make them fit in. A custom designed system built in would, IMO, work a lot better.

Agreed, I am trying to set up a global advertising block and it would be great if it was more straight forward and fast to do.

[quote name='Sacred' date='17 January 2010 - 06:25 AM' timestamp='1263709549' post='1900147']
to be honest I don't care about what W3C agrees on, and I dont rly care about XHTML validation.

We do, as do most web designers. Not to mention, the SEO fanatics would have your head for saying that ;)

Archived