Big project : Facebook chat bar

Bakakid

I'm a facebooker and I think 1 of the best functions on Facebook is the chat bar, you can see it at the bottom of the page.

It's really good if we have one bar like that, list online users and member can pm together, will be a great fun and deluxe for all users.

facebook_chat.jpg

Are there any ideas about this thing??

[quote name='aurorawx' date='04 June 2009 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1244116182' post='1807533']
It defeats the purpose of the forum -- to interact with one another.

That maybe true, but then surely that would make all shoutboxes even more pointless than this Chat bar idea?

[quote name='Tom Christian' date='04 June 2009 - 10:54 AM' timestamp='1244127282' post='1807574']
That maybe true, but then surely that would make all shoutboxes even more pointless than this Chat bar idea?

I don't use the shoutbox on my forum 24/7 (only open it for "live chats") but at least everyone can read and participate, whereas an IM is just a live private conversation.

They're both kind of pointless in my opinion. A shoutbox offers no real purpose other than a nice looking "live" chat at the top of the board, but then the purpose of the forum is to offer this exact same thing... The IM / Private chat would also be pointless as the built in PM system offers exactly the same functionality apart from not being live. The only advantages that these things really bring is that it's real time but In terms of functionality, whats the point? It just takes up room in the layout, eats your memory & influences people not to post in the forums.

So you should come back to ver. 1.3 It's enough functions for you!

Facebook does have the chat bar, but all members still working, posting and viewing profile, photos blabla while chatting !! Is it useless ? No - It is useful.
Instead of pm system, we can send instant message if your friends online, It's easy and save a lot of time ! Vbulletin have that function v1.0.1 very cool with less bug, but in testing !
With chat bar function, there is 1 more choice for admins who don't use Shoutbox. And members may love to add friend (at least we can use chat bar if we are friend - i don't think friend function can do something else - make friend and just friend ??).

And you said members won't post on the forum if we use this chat bar ?? No Shoutbox does, not chat bar !! I would like to see and join topics, not only chatting with friends all the time. Just see chat bar - Find out friends online and say hello - Did you see my post !! Or Long time to see, well come back - It more meanful, power, fast, easy and fun then PM to that member and waiting for the next time he online

Interesting discussion. What I wouldn't mind seeing possibly, is the chat bar but actually functioning through the PM system. e.g. you start a "chat" with a friend in the "chat bar" you talk about, and behind the scenes it just starts a personal conversation with them. Either real time or on page refresh, it could update, and when you expand it you'll see the friend's reply (personal conversation reply), and reply from there. It could start small - basically a "quick view" of your personal conversations but double as what you are referring to.

Admins could also control how many you are able to start that way through setting limits on your PM inbox.

[quote name='Bakakid' date='04 June 2009 - 05:44 PM' timestamp='1244133885' post='1807591']
So you should come back to ver. 1.3 It's enough functions for you!

Facebook does have the chat bar, but all members still working, posting and viewing profile, photos blabla while chatting !! Is it useless ? No - It is useful.
Instead of pm system, we can send instant message if your friends online, It's easy and save a lot of time ! Vbulletin have that function v1.0.1 very cool with less bug, but in testing !
With chat bar function, there is 1 more choice for admins who don't use Shoutbox. And members may love to add friend (at least we can use chat bar if we are friend - i don't think friend function can do something else - make friend and just friend ??).

And you said members won't post on the forum if we use this chat bar ?? No Shoutbox does, not chat bar !! I would like to see and join topics, not only chatting with friends all the time. Just see chat bar - Find out friends online and say hello - Did you see my post !! Or Long time to see, well come back - It more meanful, power, fast, easy and fun then PM to that member and waiting for the next time he online

I'm guessing that was aimed at me.

I didn't completely disregard the purpose of those modifications. I was stating through personal opinions that for me they are pointless.

Also, I said that the shoutbox influences people to not post in the forums. Not the Chat bar.

Regardless of those points, I believe that with the chat bar an option should be included to either allow it to be used globally with all members as well as with friends.

[quote name='DarkSideJD' date='04 June 2009 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1244171016' post='1807695']
You could make it so we get notifications in the corner when someone replies to a topic we subscribed to with a bubble with a number in it (w00t)

I'm not sure how plausible it is from a programming perspective, but there could be a central notification spot for watched/subscribed, new PMs, friend adds/requests, etc. But at that point, if there is a "bar" for chat, notifications, etc. then I know that members who are against facebook will complain that the forum is a copy of facebook. Maybe something could be implemented in a similar but different way...

Yes, of course, may be we will have IBP pm , notes ... bar, not facebook bar, it's just an idea, we don't have to copy facebook chat bar

I'm not sure how plausible it is from a programming perspective, but there could be a central notification spot for watched/subscribed, new PMs, friend adds/requests, etc. But at that point, if there is a "bar" for chat, notifications, etc. then I know that members who are against facebook will complain that the forum is a copy of facebook. Maybe something could be implemented in a similar but different way...

The chatbar would be a wonderful modification, yes; but just that!

I'd personally love to use it on my forums, but I would not want it "shipping" with IP.Board

There's a number of users who would not like or want to use it for many reasons. It also would bloat the download size abit. If anyone's willing to create a modification such as this, you're a very awesome person.

I think it would be hard to say it wouldn't slow down the performance of the site with out knowing the board its implemented on.. Doing so in the fashion that you suggested (the way facebook uses it) for a large board would create a pretty big headache for a single server to handle

Hiding the bar doesn't always stop it from being active it just usually would suppress the notfications

Archived