Migrated IPB to PostgreSQL and happy

Cillegio

I have sphinx installed on my local windows machine.

The plan right now is to release PGSQL driver as a community project, but it's still in early stages right now. Betas and such would come first. More information on that later though, since there's some things in IPB that need to be changed to fully support PGSQL right now.

That's good news that after the abandonment of support for Oracle, IPS helps in developing driver for PostgreSQL. Especially after Sun's acquisition by Oracle. PostgreSQL is becoming increasingly popular. Positive information is that the IPS can see this trend.

Probably not so long ago there was no support for the Sphinx in a Windows environment?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

We are considering using mac servers for current and future licenses. Apple has dropped support for MySQL since Lion Server, and now recommends PostgreSQL. I was wondering if there will truly be out-of-box support. Otherwise we'll consider installing MySQL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It still surprises me that with the demand placed on mysql , and it's downfalls, that there is not more people working on getting IPB support for postgre.

With hosting delving deeper into VPS Vs. dedicated, you would think more people would be willing to look at one if not the largest of the large resource hogs in the land of application data storage.

Does vbulletin natively support postgreSQL?

To my knowledge they do not support any alternative database engines, however I'm not too familiar with the ins and outs of the software.

IP.Board can be abstracted to work with alternative database engines (we've even offered some in-house in the past, including Oracle and MSSQL), however the reality of the matter is that the vast majority of our clients simply use MySQL. It is comparable to most other database engines in reality, and is well-suited for web applications, making it easier than most other engines to develop for.

Might be more people using mysql granted , it's free and open. It really is great I'm not bashing it in any way.

However most people are using it because it has been the standard ' set and forget ' way to handle data. Which has nothing to do with efficiency as applications constantly rely more and more , as well as heavier database usage.

As far as VB , Postgre would make no difference in fixing it's core functionality. Sorry for bashing someones code.

If I had time to learn enough to use IPB with postgre I would be doing it. Currently I'm experimenting with Percona

• 2 months later...

I guess I'll just drop in here and add my vote for a PgSQL driver.

My site currently still runs fairly well with MySQL and InnoDB, but I've always heard great things about PostgreSQL. I also plan on buying a new license sometime soon and hope to start a new forum much larger than the one I run now.

Basically, if it was offered and stable enough to use on a production site, I would certainly take advantage of it. I guess I'm more just eager to fiddle with a new toy on my server than anything, but still.

I have heard many great things about PostgreSQL and get encouraged to switch by many I know. I would definitely take advantage of it, and I've seen many shared hosts that support it, so, here's my vote! My one measly vote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Thats sad.... especially with lightning fast database storage engines being built on top of PostgreSQL.... its called JustOneDB.... it runs on a single server on top of PostgreSQL but removes indexes and in turn provides the fastest single server database in existence.

http://www.justonedb.com/

Imagine how large IPB could scale running on a single 512MB RAM w250GB SSD VPS with litespeed web server....

There is now Percona and Maria DB built on top of MySQL with very high scalability and very good speeds.

There will always be differing opinions about which database engine is "the best", however the reality is that we see very low demand for anything beyond MySQL these days. If that changes we will certainly accommodate, but we won't spend time building a driver in-house if there isn't any demand for it.

Archived