IPB 3, super moderators removed

Guest Zachary Stoler

Guest Zachary Stoler

I think that super moderators features should be removed, the system in my opinion doesn't blend well with the rest of the software.

I love super moderators. They are my almost admins without administrative powers and my most helpful mods. If IPB removed them I would have no question in never upgrading and possibly switching software.

I could never imagine a forum software that doesn't provide a super mod.

I think that super moderators features should be removed, the system in my opinion doesn't blend well with the rest of the software.

What possible reason could you have for wanting global moderators removed? If you don't want any, just don't set up a usergroup as a global moderator group.

Are you kidding me? On my forum all I use is super moderators. The only time I ever use regular mods is when we're testing their responsibility level. Other than that, it's counter productive not to have a moderator have global permissions. If they don't, there's a trust issue there, and maybe they shouldn't be mods. When I had regular mods to start with, I would often have a moderator report a post so another would take care of it. It was much easier to have that mod take care of the problem then and there. Not to mention when someone abuses signature dimentions, etc...

Guest Zachary Stoler

First of all there should be only one moderator category, and you should be able to edit a group, switch them on to moderator, and edit the preferences. The super moderator idea is useless, why would you need two groups for moderators what you should have is Root Admin, Admin and Moderator as staff positions, when you clicked on the member group to edit it, you could give them additional powers, its simple as that, because currently, super moderators can't do much more than a moderator can :lol:

Super moderators do everything a moderator can but moderators can have more restrictions on what they do. Global Mods can by all means do everything an admin can do on the forum as long as they have permissions to the forum and don't have access to administrative features. Normal mods can do this only to specified forums.

I still have a problem with not having a super moderator. I don't want my normal moderators to have all the accesses of my global moderators and I also want them to concentrate on specific sections where as I want my global mods to really take care of bigger issues and moderately help the normal moderators.

Also what you just specified is Global Moderators and to remove normal moderator permissions.

This feature is not necessary or warranted at all. I can agree possibly better moderator control would be ideal but if you don't want the feature don't use it.

While having a super moderator group is probably unnecessary given sufficient granularity in moderator permissions, it'd still be convenient to have (even if just for purposes of establishing a hierarchy).

And since we don't know exactly how granular moderator permissions will be, it's silly to propose that the group be removed altogether at this point in time.

I have long not so much bad proposal read more than here. :o :blink:
Why they want to develop the IPB back?

Root Admin: FULL CONTROL of every setting and feature, cannot be denied any.
Admin: Access ACP, Moderator Controls, can be denied by Root Admin to features.
Super Mod: Moderator Controls, can moderate ALL forums
Mod: Moderator Controls, can moderate only selected forums.

So you want to go from giving moderators reign over all or few forums, to having to select forums?
The most common use of the moderator permissions setup is for "newsposters", who need access to just one forum category (and all sub categories), while other "moderators" (really super/global) can moderate all forums.

There shouldn't even be a debate on the subject since THREE views have been met with two seperate user groups. If you want full reign of a mod, then they are super mod. If you think they might be too power hungry or have to much work, then make them a Moderator. If you want the option of both, you have both!

Guest Zachary Stoler

Wow, I am only one guy, lol, Okay here it goes:

Super moderators do everything a moderator can but moderators can have more restrictions on what they do. Global Mods can by all means do everything an admin can do on the forum as long as they have permissions to the forum and don't have access to administrative features. Normal mods can do this only to specified forums.

I still have a problem with not having a super moderator. I don't want my normal moderators to have all the accesses of my global moderators and I also want them to concentrate on specific sections where as I want my global mods to really take care of bigger issues and moderately help the normal moderators.

Also what you just specified is Global Moderators and to remove normal moderator permissions.

This feature is not necessary or warranted at all. I can agree possibly better moderator control would be ideal but if you don't want the feature don't use it.

Did you understand anything I said? :huh: I said it should be in a state where you can choice what your moderators can do, a group setting, if they are enable as a moderator, e.g.

• Moderate All Forums
  • Can warn
  • Can suspend
  • ETC...

While having a super moderator group is probably unnecessary given sufficient granularity in moderator permissions, it'd still be convenient to have (even if just for purposes of establishing a hierarchy).

And since we don't know exactly how granular moderator permissions will be, it's silly to propose that the group be removed altogether at this point in time.

I admire the fact your not being rude about it :) I just think that there is no purpose behind it, and you shouldn't have predefined extra permission groups for you.

Super Moderators are anything but useless' date=' especially on significantly larger forums.[/quote']

With my suggestion, you would be able to create a "super moderator", it is just useless to have it when it should be a permission setting not some weird group with useless pre-existing settings that go along with it, ooh I don't want my super moderator to warn someone 4 times in one day :o big deal... really...

I know, aren't they just mean to me?

That is exactly what I was going to say, but quoting his posts. I read the first, one line, saying "remove super mods", but no reason. The second one was longer but saying the same thing but giving the reason they it could be simpler and can't do more than a regular mod (hey, if thats the way you have it set up then yeah, but you can RESTRICT mods fully and make them quite diffrent).

Guest Zachary Stoler

If you don't want to use super moderators, don't use them.

I'm sorry, but it's relatively unlikely we will be removing super moderators. ;)

Well you have to brandon, its not an option, I want my mods to be able to moderate anywhere, so I am forced to use those grotesque settings.

Guest Zachary Stoler

I'm going to end this right now, you guys don't understand my perspective or what I am trying to convey. Your wasting your time posting in it know, because I won't be checking up on this topic.

I personally think all you need is more moderator permissions since Super Moderators don't have varied way of setting permissions yet.
I remember there being a modification to allow Admins to set super moderator permissions I think its much needed and to me it sounds like the same kinda thing

bfarber, let me explain the words of Zachary Stoler. I think, that we can't restrict supermoderators the rights now. And we must do many same actions to add limited moderator to all forums. I propose to change the adding moderator interface so that we can conveniently provide forums for moderation, for example uses multiselect list.
P.S. Sorry for my English :)

Regular moderators = Limited permissions.
Super moderators = Mucho permissions.

Am I right?

We need super moderators. What about major IPB forums like Neowin and the American Idol forums? If IPS devs got rid of super mods, those (and many other forums) would have utter and pure chaos break out IMO upon the release of 3.0; unless the regular mods were able to be granted the exact same permissions as super mods.

Which, imo; would defeat the purpose of super mods.

So I say no to this suggestion.

I'm going to end this right now, you guys don't understand my perspective or what I am trying to convey. Your wasting your time posting in it know, because I won't be checking up on this topic.

I think the point trying to be conveyed is this:

Super-moderators (supers) merely are granted all moderator permissions and privileges by default (well, currently, always).
Moderators are manually assigned entities (groups or users) to a singular forum.

What is the purpose of this when the two items are exactly the same with the only exception being the lack of control over "supers"?

The only reason "supers" are "great" is because they require no thought to their creation. Moderators have too many crazy permissions involved in their creation. Further, while we have mass "add", to remove/edit them you must do so from each forum individually. I think that if the moderation permissions were moved to a tab on the user and group (depending on which was being made one) manage pages with simple multi-selects involved in choosing which forums they have control over (even a "add to all and all future" like other settings in the software), the need for a specific setting to make you "super" becomes unnecessary and makes the software easier to manage.

Archived